Hoyas’ Season Ends at Tourney

FIELD HOCKEY Hoyas’ Season Ends at Tourney By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

Ending a season that saw the Hoyas make their second consecutive postseason appearance and achieve an 11-6 record, the Georgetown field hockey team lost 1-0 to Drexel in the first round of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference tournament on Saturday.

The Hoyas were the No. 2 seed in the four-team tournament, while the Dragons were No. 3. The win took Drexel to the championship game, which it lost 2-1 to Dartmouth.

The even match-up lacked offensive opportunities for either team. The Hoyas took six shots, and the Dragons took four. Georgetown leading scorer, sophomore midfielder Elena Elster, had five of those shots. She had 13 goals on the season but was unable to get anything past Dragon freshman goalkeeper Katie Dougherty.

With 12:18 to go in the second half, sophomore forward Caliann Bogovic scored the game-winner for the Dragons, ending the season for the Hoyas.

2001 was another successful year for the Hoyas, who are one of two independent conference teams in Division I field hockey. They have filed a bid and been selected to compete in the ECAC tournament for the past two years. In 2000, after their winningest season in program history, the No. 4 seed Hoyas lost in the first round of the tournament to top-seeded Columbia.

The loss was the final appearance for Georgetown seniors and co-captains midfielder Aubrey Bruggeman and defender Bridget cConnell, as well as senior midfielder Cecilia Kline.

Bruggeman and McConnell have provided outstanding leadership for the Hoyas over the course of the season, according to Head Coach Laurie Carroll.

McConnell was recently selected to the STX/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I All-American Second Team along with Elster. She is second for career defensive stops on Georgetown’s All-Time Record list.

Elster is second in career goals and points and fourth in single season goals and single season points.

2001 Field Hockey Team Page Schedule