Hoyas Suffer First Loss, Bounce Back to Beat Dlue Demons

After a 10-game undefeated streak to open the season, Georgetown suffered their first loss this weekend against top-ranked Notre Dame. The Hoyas (9-1-2, 4-1 Big East) were defeated by the Fighting Irish (14-0, 7-0) 3-1 on Friday afternoon, but the squad came back strong on Sunday as they topped DePaul (2-13, 0-7) 4-0.

Both teams got off to a quick start Friday, as the Irish scored their first goal early in the half and looked like they would seize the momentum early. The Hoyas did not back down, however, as senior Stephanie Zare scored off of a throw in from Samantha Baker.

Despite the early comeback, the Hoyas had to fight back against the Irish for the rest of the first half. Notre Dame scored their second goal of the game only a minute after the Hoyas’ tying score. Georgetown struggled to break down the Irish defense and could not manage to score again in the first half. Junior goalie Jackie DesJardin compiled four saves during the first half to keep the Hoyas only one back heading into the second period.

After Notre Dame’s third goal came early on in the second half, the Hoyas fought to keep the Irish’s lead to two. DesJardin came up with three more saves during the second period, and sophomore Caitlin Durkee and freshman Camille Trujillo both had attempts on the Notre Dame goal, but the Hoyas could not find the back of the net and the Fighting Irish walked away with the win.

Georgetown did not let their first defeat of the season deter their play on Sunday against DePaul, however. Baker got the Hoyas on the board early with her fifth goal of the season on an assist from Durkee, and the Georgetown defense held DePaul to only four shots at their goal during the first half.

The Hoyas starting capitalizing on offense early in the second half, as Zare scored her second goal of the season off an assist from Durkee in the three minutes after halftime. The freshmen duo of Kelly D’Ambrisi and Trujillo drove home the Hoyas’ third goal of the match less than 10 minutes later. Durkee picked up her third assist of the contest when she passed off to freshman Norah Swanson, who netted her first goal of the season.

DesJardin, fellow goaltender Christina Rourke and the rest of the Hoya defense denied five shot attempts during the second half for another Georgetown shutout.

The Hoyas next take on Syracuse on Tuesday at home, a game that was postponed from two weeks ago.