Hoyas Survive Winds and Win

Mother Nature dominated the War Memorial Regatta last weekend, but the Hoyas did just enough to make program history.

Georgetown won the regatta for the first time in the program’s history by performing well in the three races that the weather permitted. The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy played host to the event in Kings Point, N.Y.

After a windy Saturday, all of Sunday’s races were cancelled due to gusts of over 40 knots. Georgetown and Hobart/William Smith finished with 26 points, but Georgetown claimed the title by winning the tiebreaker.

The Hoyas’ finish was particularly impressive considering the caliber of their competition. 19 other teams competed in the regatta, including seven squads ranked in the top 20 in the latest Sailing World College Rankings. No. 1 Yale finished sixth, No. 2 St. Mary’s came in fifth and No. 8 Kings Point placed fourth. Georgetown’s coed team is currently ranked No. 9, while Hobart/William Smith is the No. 4 team in the country.

In the A division, junior skipper Chris Behm and junior crew Zack Kavanaugh led the Hoyas to a fourth-place finish by placing second, fifth and then seventh in the three races. Georgetown came in third in the B division by finishing first, eighth and third behind the efforts of senior captain and skipper J.B. Turney, who competed with sophomore crew Carly Chamberlain for the first two races and sophomore crew Sprague Brodie for the final race.

The top seven finishers in the regatta qualified for the coed Atlantic Coast Championship, which will be held Nov. 11-12 in Kings Point.

The Georgetown sailing program will next compete in the MAISA Women’s Championship this weekend, held by Cornell University.