Hoyas Tame Tigers, Earn Second Victory

Good things come to those who wait.

Georgetown field hockey endured a scoreless 59 minutes of play against Towson on Wednesday before netting two goals in the last 11 minutes to secure the team’s first road win this season. The Hoyas beat the Tigers 2-1, lifting their season record to 2-5 after seven games.

“Before the game yesterday we drew the line, and we kind of just threw out the first six games,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said. “It helped the team move forward and play with so much heart and so much discipline.”

Coming into the game, Georgetown knew it faced a tough opponent as Towson had a 6-2 record, with its only two losses coming to nationally ranked teams, including No. 5 American.

But according to their coach, the Hoyas stepped up to the challenge.

“It’s probably the best performance I’ve seen of any Georgetown team that I’ve coached,” Carroll said. “They gave us this opportunity to raise our level of play, and thankfully we did that.”

Towson took the lead offensively in the first half, aggressively pushing up the field and outshooting the Hoyas 8-2 but failing to convert when the Georgetown defense stepped in. Junior goalkeeper Abby Winer totaled nine saves on the day, four coming in the first half.

“We really asked her to be a leader, and she came through for us and made some big saves in the first half,” Carroll said. “That really empowered the rest of the team to have the confidence to win in the second half.”

The battle was in the midfield for the majority of the game, each team capitalizing on key opportunities to push up the field. But the game was in a deadlock at zero until the 60th minute, when freshman forward Maggie Farrand found the net for Georgetown to give the Hoyas a 1-0 lead heading into the final 10 minutes of play.

The Tigers reacted quickly to the goal, as sophomore midfielder Laura Passalacqua tied the score within five minutes. Faced with a looming overtime, Georgetown secured a final corner opportunity and found the go-ahead goal to win the game in the 66th minute, when sophomore defender Lauren Sheets assisted Farrand’s second goal of the game on what Carroll called “a perfectly executed corner.” The Hoyas held for the last four minutes of play, coming out triumphant atop a 2-1 tally.

As a freshman, Farrand has been valuable to Georgetown so far this season. Farrand now has three goals and four assists in the first seven games, leading the Hoyas with 10 points.

Georgetown as a team was also more effective in Wednesday’s game. Although the Tigers outshot the Hoyas 15-6, Georgetown converted more shots into goals.

After struggling in the beginning of the season to scrape up only one win in six games, Georgetown is determined to move ahead and raise its record. “Our mentality is we’re 1-0,” Carroll said. “We’re all committed to move forward.”

The Hoyas have one more away game at Lafayette tomorrow before they return home on Friday, Sept. 30, to face off against St. Francis, Pa.