Hoyas Top Terrapins, Snap UMD Win Streak

VOLLEYBALL Hoyas Top Terrapins, Snap UMD Win Streak By Erin Reilly Hoya Staff Writer

The Hoyas snapped Maryland’s three-match win streak in four games Tuesday, improving their season record to 3-4.

“This is a very important win for us,” Coach Liu said. “It is right before Big East play starts and with last weekend’s games being canceled, we needed that win.”

The Hoyas captured the match 30-28, 17-30, 30-27, 30-21 with senior Yulia Vtyurina scoring a match-high 22 kills, 10 digs, one block and one ace. Junior co-captain Lauren Warner added 14 kills, 10 digs, two aces and a block to lead the Hoyas to victory.

“We played well as a whole team, everyone [contributed] from the bench,” Liu said. “[Freshman] Sara Albert is working very hard; I am very pleased with her work ethic. She is improving.” Albert had 10 kills and three blocks off the bench for the Hoyas.

Anna Kleinsorge put up a match-high five blocks, including three solos and seven kills in the match.

Also stepping up for the Hoyas, senior co-captain Megan Mullen had a team-high 11 digs, eight kills and five assists, and sophomore Jennifer Ward had a team-high 49 assists, nine digs, two kills, two blocks and an ace.

Liu said freshman Julie Grauert did very well off the bench for the Hoyas, Julie provided seven digs in the win for Georgetown.

“I hope we continue fighting hard,” Liu added. “We can put up great competition with any team if we fight hard. We have to continue to push to gain points and not lose a few points in a row.”

Entering their first Big East matchup this week against Seton Hall, the Hoyas are confident. “The first weekend we can definitely take it. I hope my team is going to show up and play. We are definitely capable of beating them, it depends if we show up,” Liu said.

After Saturday’s match in Orange, N.J., against the Pirates, the Hoyas will travel to Jamaica, N.Y., on Sunday to face the St. John’s Red Storm.

As the Hoyas begin Big East play they look to improve their record to over .500, which would require wins in both games this weekend. The Pirates are on a five-game losing streak with a record of 3-5 while the Red Storm are 8-1 and are currently on a four-game winning streak.