Hoyas Up and Down at Tourney

RUGBY Hoyas Up and Down at Tourney By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown rugby team had its third match of the spring season this weekend, as it took part in the two-day Cherry Blossom tournament, competing against Army, Le Moyne, Villanova and Kings Point Merchant Marine Academy. Georgetown came out on top of Villanova and Le Moyne but was shut out by Kings Point and Army.

Georgetown, coming off a 15-5 loss to Pennsylvania the weekend before, had a rough start to the Cherry Blossom tournament on Saturday at Rosecroft Raceway in Ft. Washington, Md. They faced a tough Army squad and fell 46-0.

However, they were able to turn things around later that day against Le Moyne, capturing a 35-5 win.

“After losing a tough match to eventual tournament runner-up Army, the team responded well, coming out strong to beat LeMoyne,” injured sophomore captain turned-coach Pat Pierce said.

Freshman Ben Purcell scored twice, and freshman and newly-appointed captain Greg Sullentrop and sophomores Rory Boyle and Ben Kamarck each scored once in the match. Freshman Jake Ludwigson made all of the conversion kicks. It was the first time for both Purcell and Kamarck to score tries.

“I was especially happy with [senior captain Frank] Tantillo’s leadership on the field,” Pierce said.

On Sunday, the Hoyas had a successful start on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., coming from behind to beat Villanova 14-10. Georgetown was up 7-5 in the first half until Villanova scored a try with no time left to take a 10-7 lead into the half. Right after the break, however, Sullentrop scored a try and freshman Jake Ludwigson made the conversion to put Georegtown up for good.

“The second day, the team showed a lot of character,” Pierce said.

But Georgetown couldn’t carry the day and fell to Kings Point 12-0.

The Hoyas have two matches left this season. They will face Mary Washington tomorrow and will also look to defend their Capital Cup championship for the fifth year in a row next weekend.

“The team is coming together nicely after an impressive showing this weekend,” Pierce said.

Kickoff against Mary Washington is set for 1 p.m. tomorrow at Gravelly Point Park, next to Reagan National Airport.