Hoyas Win Capital Cup Championship

The Georgetown men’s club rugby team can add another title to its long list of championships this year.

One week after an appearance in the national final four in California, the Hoyas returned home to the District to claim their eighth consecutive Capital Cup championship with a win over Catholic University, 36-7.

“It was a tremendous win,” senior fullback Ben Purcell said of the victory over Catholic. “It firmly established Georgetown as the team to beat in the District.”

The Capital Cup title is a fitting end to the Hoyas’ most successful season to date. With a 21-2-1 record overall, the Hoyas made their first final four, took home the MARFU and Cherry Blossom titles this spring, and won the PRU championship, all while going undefeated in the fall.

“The title capped off a great season,” Purcell said. “These were dominating wins over our local rivals.”

On Saturday, Georgetown opened the tournament against American University with its highest scoring game of the spring. In a 69-0 rout of the Eagles, the Hoyas scored 11 tries in 40 minutes to advance to the Capital Cup finals with ease. Georgetown’s leading scorer, senior flyhalf Jake Ludwigson, paced the Hoyas with 15 points on one try and five conversions. Purcell added nine points to the effort with a try and two kicks. Senior flanker Greg Sullentrop and junior wing Paul Detjen each added two tries for Georgetown, and senior wing Pat O’Brien, sophomore Adam Glazer and freshman flanker Richard Vilmenay scored one try each.

In the finals against Catholic University, the Hoyas continued their offensive onslaught, opening the match with 27 consecutive points en route to the 36-7 victory. Senior outside center Mark Bittmann put the Hoyas on the board early with a try, which was followed by a try from junior inside center Jeff Miller, two tries from Sullentrop and a conversion by Ludwigson to put Georgetown up 19-0 at halftime.

In the second period, senior wing Rich Staley added another try, and Ludwigson added another conversion before Catholic got on the board with a try and conversion. The Hoyas would not let the Cardinals score again, and Bittmann scored his second try of the afternoon, while junior flanker Mike McCourt added a try of his own to seal the Hoyas’ victory and title.

Last year Georgetown also defeated Catholic to claim the Capital Cup. In that title game, the Hoyas shut out the Cardinals, 34-0. The seven points Catholic put up on Saturday were the first points the Cardinals had scored on the Hoyas in their last three meetings. Previously, Georgetown had shut out Catholic 93-0 in their last three meetings combined.

“In the fall we barely beat American . and Catholic always talks about how they are going to beat us,” Purcell said, “so it was great to show them they still have a long way to go before they can compete at our level.”

The Hoyas will lose 13 seniors to graduation this year, including their three leading scorers – Ludwigson, Sullentrop and Purcell. The Hoyas will return almost 40 players, however, and look to build on the success of this season next year.

“I see this as a culmination of our four years here,” Purcell said. “We went from a rag-tag group of guys to getting a coach, establishing ourselves, and now we are a powerhouse. . This has been a great experience.”