H*yas For Choice Protests Stupak

A coalition of patients, health care providers, progressive religious leaders and students – including Georgetown University students from H*yas For Choice – gathered on Capitol Hill on Wednesday to advocate health care coverage for abortions to members of Congress.

The D.C. Lobby Day was organized as a part of the National Week of Action, which lasts from Nov. 30 to Dec. 6, by [the Coalition to Pass Health Care Reform and Stop Stupak](https://action.stopstupak.com/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=412&tag=SEM-g-EL-stupak). More than 500 supporters from 30 states traveled to D.C. to meet with their members of Congress. They protested the Stupak amendment that is before the Senate and similar anti-choice measures.

embers of Congress who joined the event included Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.),

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Or.), Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), Rep. Lois Capps (D-Calif.), Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Col.), Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), Rep. Jane Harman (D-Calif.), Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) and Rep. Lynn Woolsey (D-Calif.). The event was supported by a number of organizations, including Planned Parenthood, Choice USA and many religious groups.

According to Erica Slates (SFS ’10) in an e-mail to H*yas For Choice, after a brief lobbying training and issue briefing, participants who made previous appointments were encouraged to meet members of Congress and begin the lobbying process. Participants also delivered a petition to each of the offices of members of Congress. The petition urged Congress to protect women’s reproductive rights.

Passed by the House of Representatives on Nov. 7, the Stupak amendment prohibits any coverage of abortion in the public option and prevents anyone receiving a federal subsidy from purchasing a health insurance plan that includes abortion.

“I see problems in this amendment that first, this is going to hit mostly the low- and middle-income women and second, this denies coverage of a legal medical procedure,” said Danielle Giong, the national campus organizer for the Feminist Majority Foundation.

The coalition is also engaging in an online campaign, which has resulted in more than 385,270 signatures on petitions intended to be sent to President Obama, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) encouraging them to protect women’s health and reject the Stupak amendment and similar measures.”