ICC Elevators Undergo Repairs

Extensive renovations to four elevators in the ICC could reroute students and faculty members in their daily route to classes in upcoming months, administrators announced late last week.

The renovations are part of a larger string of recent renovation projects across campus.

“The ICC elevators have had no major work on this scale since they were installed when the ICC opened over 20 years ago,” said Sonia Jacobson, assistant to the provost for academic affairs.

Slated for completion in late February, the work to the four interior elevators in ICC aims to improve their speed and performance.

“This means not only [decreasing] downtime, but also elevators that light up when summoned, go where they are told and run smoothly,” Jacobson said.

She added that another benefit from the renovation will be the “addition of a second elevator going all the way to the seventh floor,” where graduate-level School of Foreign Service offices are located.

According to university plans, the freight elevator and main center elevator will be under construction until mid-December, while the remaining two main elevators will undergo renovations from mid-December to the end of February.

Some modifications to the second elevator were made over the summer in preparation for renovations this fall that would enable it to reach the seventh floor, Jacobson said.

On Saturday, a crane carried new elevator machinery “into the elevator mechanical rooms well above the seventh floor,” Jacobson said. For safety purposes, Red Square had to be closed while the machinery, which weighed over a ton, was delivered.

Jacobson said the crane will again be needed toward the end of the project to remove the old elevator machineries.

University spokeswoman Julie Bataille said that there will not be any serious disturbances for classes.

“All of the actual work will take place within the elevator shafts so there will be very little physical view or disruption of the work in progress, although it is likely that noise will be audible from time to time from the shafts,” Bataille said.

Jacobson said that limited elevator availability may slow some pedestrian traffic in ICC.

“What will be disruptive is having two elevators out of service and so many people traversing the ICC without that as a reliable means of getting places,” she said. “The contractors try to be quite accommodating about these issues.”

Bataille said that the Office of Facilities would work to minimize disruptions to the campus community by having work involving large equipment done on “weekends or off-peak hours when the building is least occupied.”

The work to the elevators constitutes a part of a much larger renovation project across campus, referred to as “deferred maintenance.” Jacobson said that, for the ICC, this project involves replacement of the fire alarm system and emergency regenerator and various modifications to the building’s roof and steam lines.

Jacobson said that elevator renovations are also ongoing in Village C, New North and Old North.