In Hoyas’ Fourth-Straight Loss, Penn Blanks GU

Georgetown field hockey continued its four-game slide Wednesday, taking its 10th loss of the season and second-straight shutout at the hands of the Pennsylvania Quakers, 3-0.

The Quakers (7-6, 1-2 Ivy) dominated offensively throughout the 70 minutes of play on their home turf in Philadelphia, as they got off 19 shots, including 11 on goal. Georgetown, now 3-10, managed only three shots on the game. Penn also received the corner opportunities, enjoying 18 offensive corners, one of which resulted in a goal.

The Quakers led an attack on the Hoyas early in the game, but Georgetown’s defense held up under pressure

“We were thrilled with the first half,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said. “We played a strong Penn team tough and held them.”

Junior goalkeeper Abby Winer tallied four saves in the first half. The Quakers had enough opportunities to capitalize on nine shots and eight corner kicks, but the Penn offense could not find the net at all during the first half. The Hoyas, however, could not even find Penn’s side of the field, and the two teams headed into the half scoreless.

The Quakers came back from the break ready to score and, eight minutes in, senior midfielder Lea Salese dodged around the Georgetown defense and shot into the back corner of the net, putting Penn up 1-0. Co-captain Salese leads her team with eight goals on the season.

After another eight minutes the Quakers were awarded a penalty shot, and sophomore midfielder Nicole Black nailed it into the cage to give Pennsylvania a 2-0 lead with just under 20 minutes of play remaining.

The Quakers went on to seal the game on a corner opportunity with two minutes left. Senior forward Cara Calahan put the ball into play, passing it to sophomore midfielder Meghan Rose. Rose then assisted senior midfielder Kristen Gray, who hit a straight shot into the back of the net.

“I think Penn’s a very good team,” Carroll said. “I don’t think [the loss] had as much to do with Georgetown as it did with Penn.”

The loss is the fourth straight for the struggling Hoya team. A young squad with more than half of its roster consisting of freshmen and sophomores, Georgetown was plagued by injuries early in the season. Though previously injured players like junior forward Jen Kosloski and junior defender Megan Cellucci are back on the roster, two defenders were not in action in Wednesday’s game.

Carroll said sophomore defender Lauren Sheets was left at home because of an injury she sustained during the James Madison game last week. Senior captain and defender Caitlin Bump dislocated her shoulder during the Penn game and had to be removed from the field.

“We’re a little bit unlucky,” Carroll said of her team’s overall performance. “We had a couple key players out and we tried to do the best we could.”

The game in Philadelphia was Georgetown’s final away match of the season. The Hoyas have a 1-5 record on the road this fall, with their only road win coming over Towson in September. Georgetown will return to the Hilltop for its final four home games.

“It’s really hard for us all to believe there’s only four games left,” Carroll said. “They’re going to be tough opponents. We’ll see what happens.”

The team will face Maine on Sunday at noon on Kehoe Field.