In the Spotlight

Dan Giraudo

By John-Paul Hezel Hoya Staff Writer

Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya In the Spotlight: Dan Giraudo

Hometown: San Francisco, Calif.

High School: St. Ignatius H.S.

School: MSB ’01

Major: Finance

Sport: Golf

High School Highlights: Team Captain … All-League, four years … All-Central Coast Section, three years … Inidividual League Champion … Ranked in top 10 for Northern Calif.

Georgetown Highlights: Two-year team captain … Five top five finishes … Member of team that has won seven tournaments in four years … Shot a career best round of 68 at Princeton last week

Favorite Team: San Francisco Forty-Niners

Favorite Golfer: Fred Couples. He’s so laid back.

Favorite Movie: The Godfather

Preferred Golf Ball: A soft-covered ball, [but] it doesn’t really matter. It’s all mental anyway.

What club do you most like to use? The lob wedge. You can be creative with different types of shots.

What is your best shot? The chip shot.

What is your worst fear? Airplane crashes.

New South or Darnall? Neither. I haven’t had a meal plan since my freshman year.

How did you get into golf? My brother who is four years older than I am. I used to play with him in the summers.

How old were you when you started playing? Four years old

If you could meet one person dead or alive, who would it be and why? Muhammed Ali. He’s regarded [by many] as the best athlete ever. He’s a flamboyant character and he brought a different aspect to sports with his personality.

If you could name a line of golf balls, what would you call it and why? Tiger, `cause I’d make a lot of money.

How did you choose to attend Georgetown? My brother went here and I wanted to go to school in a big city. I wanted something different, a new atmosphere.

What is yoru favorite place to eat in Washington, D.C.? The Palm on 19th and K. It serves steaks like Morton’s.

If you could be anybody besides yourself who would it be? No one. I’d be myself.

Have you ever given money to the Wiseies bums? Yes.

If you could be great at any sport on the professional level, what would it be and why? Basketball, because they make a lot of money.

If you could be great at any sport on the non-professional level, what would it be and why? Golf, because it brings you the most opportunities.

Have you ever played golf with anyone famous? Charles Barkley. I played with him in Hawaii.

Have you met any other famous people? Bill Clinton, Michael Jordan and the Pope. When the Pope came to San Francisco in 1987, I brought offertory to him during a mass that he gave.

What do you see as the biggest difference between the east coast and the west coast? Attitude. People are more laid back on the west coast and too uptight here on the east coast.

What do you want to do in the last month of school that you have yet to do at Georgetown? Nothing. Just keep having fun with my friends.