In the Spotlight: Ben Purcell

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya

Sport: Rugby

Position: Fullback

Hometown: St Louis, Miss.

High School: St. Louis University High School

School/Year: NHS ’05

Major: Health Studies, Population Health; Pre-med

High School Highlights: Member of rugby team that made it to the final four in the Midwestern Tournament . Captain of wrestling team senior year . Played football for three years . Member of National Honor Society.

Georgetown Highlights: Captain of the rugby team . Sophomore year, team won the division in the Potomac Rugby Union (PRU) . Team made it to the final four in the id-Atlantic Rugby Football Union (MARFU) . Junior year team placed second in the division . Currently playing the in the final four regionals in the Mid-Atlantic Rugby Football Union.

How did you get into rugby? Some of my friends played it. I did wrestling and football, and they suggested that I play, so I did.

What do you miss the most about high school? I miss having all the home-cooked food, the meals. I don’t eat nearly as well here – my mom is a very good cook. I miss that a lot.

Most challenging thing about rugby: Abandoning the personal glory mentality because the game doesn’t work unless all 15 players work together at the same time. Everyone depends on each other if the team is going to have any success. It’s different from football and wrestling which are more individualized.

If you could play on any Georgetown team, which one would it be and why? The basketball team, because that’s what we’re best known for.

One thing that always puts you in a good mood: Chipotle. We have a Chipotle day, when four or five of the guys I live with go. And our squatter – we have a guy who squats [in] our apartment – he goes with us, too. A couple of guys are abroad now, so it’s postponed a while, but Wednesday is usually Chipotle day.

Complete the sentence, if I won the lottery, I would .: Buy one of those water planes – those planes that land on the water – and travel around the Caribbean like Jimmy Buffett.

Favorite sports franchise: The St. Louis Cardinals because I’m from St. Louis. Or anyone beating the Chicago Cubs.

Coolest place you have traveled to: Probably ontana because the people there are really, really nice, and it’s really beautiful. It’s a very friendly environment, not to mention the gorgeous scenery that’s everywhere.

Craziest thing you have ever done: When you score your first tri (which is the equivalent to a goal or touchdown in rugby) you go for a Zulu run – or what my English roommate calls a “nudey run” – around Georgetown and through a party.

Most embarrassing moment: Saturday night having to defend myself from a girl trying to fight me. I was defending myself against an enraged freshman girl when I was trying to defend the honor of my friend. It was in the middle of a party, and everyone was watching.

What is the stereotype about rugby players that annoys you most? It would be that we’re all of a bunch of drunken meatheads. And that rugby has no rules and you can punch and poke eyes, and that’s not true.

Biggest misconception that other people have about you: That I’m going to be a male nurse – I want to be a doctor. I’m not ashamed for being in the Nursing School, but people like to make fun of me for being a male nurse.

Worst job you have ever had: Probably dog-walking, because of the maintenance factors – the clean-up.

Favorite place on campus: The Village B courtyard, because we can play Wiffle ball there, and when it’s nice weather, we go and hang out. And there’s a guy who plays the bagpipes sometimes, so it’s cool to go and listen to him. He’s really good.

Hardest lesson you have had to learn: That people aren’t around forever, and you have to appreciate the time you have with those around you.

Worst injury you have ever had: I broke my nose last year playing rugby. I also tore some stuff in my knee – just some cartilage – when I was wrestling. The knee was more debilitating but breaking my nose was just sore.

If you could possess any one talent, what would it be? To have a photographic memory – that would just be awesome.

Favorite movie: In America

Favorite band/musician: Guns N’ Roses

Least favorite band/musician: Kenny G

Favorite childhood toy: G.I. Joe

Three books on your ideal bookshelf: The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown), The BFG (Roald Dahl) and The Complete Collection of Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson).

If you were stranded on an island with one CD, one TV series and one person, what and who would you bring with you? CD: The soundtrack to the Last of the Mohicans; TV series: “Family Guy”; Person: Johnny Cash – he seems like he’d be cool to hang out with, plus he plays some sweet music.

If you were to die tomorrow, what would you want your last meal to be? My mom’s pancakes and a side of bacon. For dessert, I’d want to have a hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream.

One thing you hope to do before you graduate: Work on the Habitat for Humanity house.

Best childhood memory: One summer when my older brother and sister were in college, we rented this houseboat and just went around on the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri for a week or two. It was awesome.

One bad habit you have: Biting my nails. It’s instinctual.

One thing you hope to be remembered for: Just that I made people laugh and had fun – to make people feel relaxed in my company.

Favorite thing to order from Wisey’s: Peggy Special.

If you could have any actor play you in a movie, who would it be and why? Johnny Depp, because he was a pirate in one movie and pirates are really badass. Therefore I’d be portrayed as a badass.

Worst fear: Heights. I have a terrible fear of heights. I figure the only way I’ll get over it is to do things that include heights. I went bungee jumping in high school – it was really scary, but once I did it, a little bit of me got over it.

One piece of advice you would give to an incoming freshmen: Your time at college is shorter than you think, so make the most of it. Study a lot, but learn from people around you, from the experience of it and the personalities of those you encounter.

Who has been the biggest role model for you? My dad, because he’s a very classy individual who puts his family before everything.

What’s under your bed right now? My roommate. I have a bunked bed in Village B, and my roommate sleeps all day.