In the Spotlight: Dan Gargan

Charles Nailen/The Hoya  

Sport: Soccer

Position: Back

Hometown: Philadelphia, Pa.

High School: Chestnut Hill Academy

School/Year: MSB ’05

Major: Marketing

High School Highlights: Named All-State and team MVP junior and senior years . Named league MVP senior year . Played for the Olympic Development Program Regional Team in 1998, 1999 and 2000 . Played for the strong FC Coppa Team.

Georgetown Highlights: Co-captain of the men’s soccer team . Named MVP of the D.C. College Cup last weekend . Named Big East Co-Defensive Player of the Week . 2002: Named Big East Defensive Player of the Week in November. Helped the defense post four shutouts . Scored an unassisted game-winning goal against Princeton to seal a 3-2 victory . 2001: Made five shots on the year, earning five points on the season . Scored the game-winning goal against Pennsylvania . Had two assists in Georgetown’s win against Howard.

What do you consider to be your greatest sports achievement thus far? It would probably be getting into Georgetown – getting into a good school – and allowing myself to get a good education through soccer.

Hardest thing about playing back: Well as the last line of defense, your mistakes are magnified. It’s kind of obvious if I mess up, if they score a goal.

If you could be great at any other sport, what would it be and why? Basketball. It’s my favorite sport, and it always has been. But I’m just a small white guy … I thought I’d take my basketball skills to the NBA after high school, but that didn’t work out too well for me.

First concert you ever went to: I saw the Rolling Stones on their Voodoo Lounge tour when I was around 12. It was good.

Characteristic you value most in a friend: Honesty and humor. The close friends that I do have, I trust, and I expect them to trust me, so there’s a mutual loyalty. I like to have a good time, too – it gets me into trouble more than anything else though.

One thing your friends give you a hard time about: Being loud.

Most interesting person you’ve ever met: Probably my mom. She raised me . all of the things she can do and juggle. She finds time to do everything; it’s inspiring.

Person who has impacted you most profoundly: My dad. I guess we didn’t have the best relationship in high school, and it caused me to challenge myself and to work hard. Looking back, he helped me to become stronger in a lot of ways that I didn’t realize before. His being hard on me to work hard really helped me to mature a lot.

Worst fear: I’m scared of my basement at home. I don’t like watching movies down there at night.

One thing you do to relax: Listen to music.

Collections or hobbies outside of soccer: I used to collect baseball cards when I was younger, but I stopped when I was in seventh grade. Sports pretty much takes up a lot of my time other than school. Not just playing soccer, but I’m really into sports in general.

Favorite baseball card: Ken Griffey, Jr.’s “Upper Deck” rookie card.

Siblings: I have a younger brother, Tommy (12), and a younger sister, Maria (14).

Worst thing about being the oldest child: I had to go through everything first, so you take the good with the bad. Your parents have never done it before, so it’s kind of trial and error on you, which could be good or bad. Things I got away with, my brother and sister don’t have a chance.

Thing you miss most about living at home: Home-cooked meals and dinnertime – sitting around with my brother and sister and just making fun of each other.

Favorite home-cooked meal: My mom’s macaroni and cheese.

Best class you’ve taken at Georgetown so far: I really liked Professor Ruf’s Problem of God course freshman year. It was just really interesting – he challenged us to do our own thinking and come up with things on our own. He encouraged everyone to think and he didn’t just force-feed us information. You took what you could out of it.

Favorite musician/band: I like a wide variety: Eminem, Bob Marley, James Taylor, Pearl Jam.

One thing you do to get psyched for a game: Our team has a warm-up CD in the locker room that we play – it’s a mix of stuff. But I don’t like to get too serious before a game. Some people like to sit by themselves and get serious or get angry, but I don’t like to do that. I try to stay loose and try to have a good time on the field. When I’m having fun, I play better. I like to be laughing.

Best Georgetown memory thus far: I always have fun during the soccer team’s banquet weekend. A lot of the young alumni come in, and they take care of you – you just go out and it’s a lot of fun.

Favorite thing to order from Wisey’s: Fingers and fries.

Thing you like least about being athlete: I don’t dislike being an athlete – I wouldn’t know what to do with my time if I weren’t one. If I didn’t play sports, I would be a waste.

Hardest thing about being an athlete: Getting the rest of your work done and a lot of other things, which is tough. You learn how to manage your time, which was my problem in high school, and still is. But I’m getting used to it. slowly.

Best thing you know how to cook yourself: I’m pretty good at making grilled cheese. I make it really buttery – you know, when the bread gets all yellowy-brown.

Do you have any family traditions: Usually we have a big Thanksgiving. My mom’s side of the family is big, so every year all of her family comes in and we rent out a hall. There are probably about 100 to 150 people there.

Three things you always have in your fridge: Water, Gatorade and ranch dressing.

Freshman dorm: New South, first floor. I liked it. The only bad thing was they put a door in at the end of the hall – it was so heavy that you would have to push it open, but then it would slam shut. I was in the first room next to the door, and my bed was next to the door. So on nights before a game, we would be trying to sleep, but we’d keep hearing the door slam shut. It was so loud.

Movie you could watch over and over and never get sick of: Meet the Parents. And I could watch Goonies over and over again – it was my favorite childhood movie.

One thing you would grab if your house were on fire: I’d probably grab a hooded sweatshirt. I like my hooded sweatshirt collection, so I’d probably grab my best one there.

If you could meet any athlete, dead or alive, who would it be and why? Larry Bird. I liked him when I was growing up. My dad always liked the Celtics, and I’d always get mad at him when he’d root for them over the Sixers, but I’ve always liked Larry Bird. I also love Charles Barkley – he’s hysterical. That’s someone I’d like to hang out with – it’d probably be pretty crazy.

Favorite sport to watch on TV: The NFL – the Eagles.

What other sports did you play in high school? I played basketball, tennis and soccer, and ran track – the 100m, 200m, 400m and the four-by-four. I just wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I weren’t playing sports. I like competition – I’m pretty competitive.

One piece of advice you’d give to an incoming freshman: Don’t eat Manny and Olga’s – it’s disgusting. I went into the actual place, the hole in the wall, and it was gross. We had to go there for a scavenger hunt, and get a hat from one of the guys – the hat smelled so bad, and the place was disgusting and there was dirt everywhere. And I’d eaten Manny and Olga’s all year, but I was pretty upset that I had after seeing it. It’s cheap, but don’t do it.

What’s under your bed right now? All the bags I packed to come here – just empty.