In the Spotlight: James Farrah

Charles Nailen/The Hoya  

Sport: Golf

Hometown: Potomac, Md.

High School: Georgetown Prep

School/Year: COL ’04

Major: Classics

Minor: Government

High School Highlights: 1999 WMGA Frank Emmet Schoolboy Tournament Champion . 1999 WMGA Bobby Gorin emorial Tournament Champion . 1999 WMGA Dewey Ricketts emorial Tournament Champion . 1999 Washington Metropolitan Golf Association Junior Player of the Year . Named to the All-County team two years . All-Conference for two years . Dean’s List.

Georgetown Highlights: Won the William and Mary Invitational Championship . Two top 10 finishes . Three top-five finishes . Finished with a 71.6 scoring average in the fall . Named to the Big East All-Academic Team for two years.

When did you start playing golf? When I was four or five. My dad started cutting down golf clubs into miniature golf clubs for me to use, so I’d just follow him around. He’s been into golf his whole life and got me started when I was young.

Favorite snack food: Chips – plain with French Onion dip from Wisey’s.

Best way to procrastinate: Probably to convince yourself that you know it already so you don’t have to study all that much. Or that you can guess what’s going to be on the test, so you don’t have to study.

If you could play on any other Georgetown team, which one would you pick and why? I’d say lacrosse because it’s a sport that when I moved down to Washington I played for only a couple of years, and I really enjoyed it. When I got to high school, I started playing golf, and I had to stop playing lacrosse since it’s the same season.

Where are you from originally? Andover, Mass. We moved down here when I was 13, right before eighth grade. We moved because of my dad’s job – they wanted him to go down to the D.C. office instead of Massachusetts.

One thing other than golf that you’re passionate about: Music. I love playing the guitar and reading about music and going to concerts. My roommate plays bass and we jam sometimes. I’ve been playing about three and a half years. I never took a lesson though – I just taught myself.

Favorite musician/group: Pearl Jam.

Favorite Pearl Jam CD: Ten.

Favorite golf course: My favorite is Pine Valley in New Jersey – it’s one of the most famous courses in the country. I like it because it’s isolated and it’s got a lot of history and it’s extremely hard. It’s just a lot of fun to play.

Favorite TV show growing up: “Saved by the Bell.”

Where do you see yourself five years from now? Ideally, I would see myself playing golf at a professional level. Golf can change pretty frequently, but what you need is one great tournament to get you going. I am possibly going to apply to law school, but defer it for a year and see where it goes.

Do you want to be a lawyer? It depends. I’ve always liked law, and I think I would enjoy being a lawyer, but my dream would be to play golf professionally.

Most frustrating thing about golf: I would say how it’s impossible to have a perfect golf round – there are always going to be mistakes. It’s so precise. To be on top of your game you have to have patience and deal with some bad breaks you’re going to get.

Personality trait that annoys you most about a person: When someone’s not trustworthy and you can’t depend on them. When a person says one thing to your face and then something else behind your back. I like people who are straightforward and say it like it is.

Earliest memory: Going to the hospital when my sister was born. I was two and a half.

Person who knows you the best: I’d probably say my mom, just because of the typical mom thing. Growing up she was there all the time, and I would always come home and tell her about my tournaments. She’s always around.

Something you always do before a match: I always listen to music – rock music usually – on the ride over to the course.

Most memorable Georgetown experience, to date: It would probably be homecoming sophomore year, just because it was really fun tailgating and watching the football game. It was a nice day and it was fun hanging out with all of my friends and seeing alumni from the golf team. We’re usually traveling on homecoming weekend, so I don’t usually get to go – we usually travel during weekends with big events like that.

Favorite meal from the dining hall: Chicken fingers.

Actor to play you in a movie: Bill Murray, just because he’s my favorite actor and pretty much every role he’s played, he’s done to perfection.

If you hadn’t come to Georgetown, where would you have gone to school? I probably would have ended up going to Princeton. It came down to golf. I was recruited by both schools, but I visited Princeton and didn’t like it as much as here. I’m really glad I didn’t go there because I really despise their golf team now – we’re competing with them.

Three magazines on your ideal coffee table: Rolling Stone, Golf Week and Sports Illustrated.

Person you aspire to be: My dad, because he’s been successful in having a good family and being just a great family guy and teaching morals and stuff to his kids, and just being a great example to follow. He’s very selfless and giving.

One thing you’d grab if your house were on fire: I guess the typical answer would be golf clubs, but let’s just say they’re already outside. I’d probably say my guitar.

What would the title of your autobiography be? Destination Unknown.

Best thing about college: Definitely being able to hang out with your best friends all the time and living with them, too.

Personal best golf score: 66.

Favorite book: A Good Walk Spoiled by John Feinstein.

If you could own any sports franchise, which one would you choose and why? I would own the Boston Red Sox because they probably have the best fans in baseball, the most loyal. Fenway Park is the best place to watch baseball and the Red Sox are just a part of Boston up there.

Do you believe in the Curse of the Bambino? No. We will win some day.

Car you drive: A ’96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Bright red.

How was it going to an all boys school? Good and bad. Bad because there were no girls, but good because it was a more relaxed environment. We could kind of act like guys and not worry about it. You could concentrate better, too.

Lucky club: I would say my three wood.

Do you have any special family traditions? Every summer we go up to Ogunquit in Maine. When we lived up north, we’d go for a few days during the summer. Now when we go to visit, we go for a little while, even if it’s just half a day.

CD in your stereo right now: Radiohead, Kid A.

One non sports-related goal you hope to achieve before you die: To travel to all 50 states.

What’s under your bed right now? Just my travel duffel bag for golf.