In the Spotlight: Jessica Cotter

Charles Nailen/The Hoya

Sport: Softball

Position: Center field

Hometown: Trumbull, Conn.

High School: Trumbull High School

School/Year: COL ’04

Major: English

Minor: Sociology

High School Highlights: Played varsity soccer, basketball and soccer . Captain of basketball team . Soccer team was state champion and district champion four years in a row . Member of National Honor Society.

Georgetown Highlights: President and captain of softball team junior and senior years . President of Jesuit Honor Society, Alpha Sigma Nu . Member of Sociology Honor Society, Alpha Kappa Delta . Selected to National Honor Society, Phi Beta Kappa.

How did you get into softball? I’ve been playing softball since I was five years old. I played little league at home, and then worked my way up, playing on recreation teams, travel teams and then all-star teams in middle school. And I also played summer ball. I always played shortstop when I was younger, but in high school, when I tried out for the team freshman year, there was an opening on the varsity team in centerfield, and I figured I give it a shot. So I played JV and varsity freshman year – both in center field. I went from being in the infield my entire life to center field, and I never went back. I loved it, though.

First thing you would do if you won the lottery: I would give a substantial amount of what I won to my family and parents and grandparents to ensure that they would live out their entire lives and not have to work as hard as they have in the past. I would pay my college tuition and my brother’s, too. I would also donate some to an organization I was passionate about at that point in time, and I’d put some in a trust fund.

If you were stranded on a desert island with one book, one movie and one stuffed animal, what would you bring with you? Book: Great Gatsby; Movie: Pretty Woman; Stuffed animal: A golden retriever puppy because it reminds me of my first pet that I had during my childhood, and because I got it after my golden retriever (Carly) died when I was little.

Is the softball team going varsity next year? Hopefully. When I first came to Georgetown, there was a lot of talk on campus that it was going to turn varsity. Softball was the first official club team to be recognized because it was the first to draft a constitution and get everything signed, but we never had a varsity team. But Georgetown has a baseball team, and Title IX guarantees equality for men and women in sports – so there’s the potential for softball to go varsity. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen any of the four years I was here, but hopefully it’ll happen next year.

If you could have any actress play you in a movie, who would you choose and why? Julia Roberts, because she’s been my favorite actress since I was young. Although we don’t look anything alike, I think she has a great personality.

Three magazines on your ideal coffee table: Fitness, People and Cooking Light.

One thing you always do before a game: I do lots of things. I have a very set warm-up routine and that includes the same exact stretches in the same exact order, and I always have to take soft toss with whiffle balls before using real softballs. And I have a routine before I get up to bat – I always swing with three bats and then with two, and then with one. That way if it’s a fast pitcher, I’ll get my bat around quicker.

Most prized possession: I’d have to say a ring that my parents gave me that has a diamond chip in it from my mom’s original engagement ring. The setting that it’s in is my grandmother’s setting from her engagement ring, which was from my grandfather I never met – he passed away when my mom was 18.

Biggest pet peeve: Definitely when people judge others without getting to know them first. It drives me crazy when people make fun of random people that they see.

Three things you always keep in you fridge: Eggs, water and soy milk.

One word you would use to describe yourself: Energetic.

One word your roommate would use to describe you: She’s told me before that I’m altruistic.

Biggest sacrifice you have made for sports: My body. I’ve had to play through a lot of injuries that I probably should have taken care of then. I was just so passionate about playing, that I tried to ignore it and play through it. I was supposed to have surgery on my PCL and meniscus my senior year of high school, but I wanted to finish out the season, so I played through it. And I’ve broken nine out of my 10 fingers from playing sports. It’s definitely been worth it, but my body will feel the results of the injuries later on.

CD in your stereo right now: Nora Jones, Come Away with Me.

Characteristic you value most in a friend: I would say loyalty – that’s the first characteristic that comes to my mind.

Favorite food: Ice cream, but I can’t eat it because I’m allergic to milk. But gelato comes close.

Greatest non-sports-related achievement: I think the accomplishment that means the most to me is getting into Columbia University’s Teachers’ College for next year. The program has everything that I was looking for in an education-based program, and I was ecstatic to get in after my years at Georgetown. It’s one of my greatest achievements because it will allow me to provide myself with the tools to become the person I want to be, and to reach out to others with a sound foundation. I think it will help to make me a more qualified person in the professional world, and it will allow me to make a difference in the lives of others in the future.

If you could have any one superpower, what would it be and why? I’d like to have the power to touch anyone on the head or shoulder and heal any disease or severe illness they had.

What did you want to be when you were little? I always wanted to be either a teacher or a veterinarian when I was little.

Favorite candy: Sour Patch Kids.

If you could own and operate any business, what would it be and why? I would start and build my own school, because I feel that education is really important in our society, and not a lot of people have the access to the same experience. I would build a school that would be open for underprivileged children.

Something that always puts you in a good mood: Tea and smoothies. And spending time with family and friends.

Favorite type of smoothie: From Jamba Juice, the Protein Berry Pizazz.

Describe your favorite photo: It’s a family photo, when my brother and I were younger. It’s of my brother, myself, my parents, my black Labrador, Morgan and my golden retriever, Carly. Everyone is smiling and happy. It reminds me of how important family really is.

One thing you hope to do before graduation: Take lots more pictures.

Hobbies or collections: I hate to ever throw things away, so I definitely save bits of memorabilia form different events of the years – I like to make scrapbooks. And I enjoy rollerblading and biking, and I also love to cook.

Best thing you know how to cook: I love to make chicken parmesan.

Thing you will miss most about college: I’ll miss the overall experience, because I’ve definitely enjoyed the academic life, the social life, and the participation in various extracurricular activities and community service through the four years. I’ll miss the opportunity to have all those experiences at my fingertips and take advantage of all of them. I’ll definitely miss my friends and spending as much time with them as I have my four years here, as well as the valuable insight I’ve gained from my professors.

Favorite place to eat in Georgetown: Filomena’s.

One lesson you have learned at Georgetown: Everything works out in the long run as long as you have faith and patience in whatever endeavor you undertake.

One piece of advice you would give to an incoming freshman: Treasure every moment because your four years will go by extremely fast.

What’s under your bed right now? My life. y bed is basically lofted, so my bureau is under it, my softball bag, my rollerblades, my winter clothes and lots of other stuff.