In the Spotlight: Michelle Herd

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya

Sport: Swimming

Events: 100m and 200m backstroke

Hometown: Canton, Conn.

High School: Westminster

School/Year: COL ’05

Major: Undecided

Minor: Undecided

Dorm: New South

High School Highlights: Junior Nationals qualifier in 100m and 200m backstroke … Captain and Team MVP junior and senior years … Prep School New England 100m backstroke winner … School record holder in 200m individual medley, 100m backstroke and 100m butterfly … Member of school record-holding 200m medley and 400m freestyle relay teams … Connecticut Senior Open champion in 100m and 200m backstroke.

Georgetown Highlights: Big East qualifier in the 200m and 100m backstroke … School records in 100m (59.7) and 200m (2:09.2) backstroke … Yates pool record in 200m backstroke.

Favorite sport besides swimming: Baseball.

Favorite Baseball Player: Derek Jeter.

Favorite Team: New York Yankees.

Favorite Athlete: Michael Jordan.

Favorite Song: “Blue Sky” by the Allman Brothers.

Favorite Georgetown Class: Introduction to Biology with Professor Neale. It was really tough, but I think I learned a lot. I like the way he presented the class and made you want to learn.

Three magazines on your coffee table: Sports Illustrated, People and Time.

Best concert you have ever attended: Barenaked Ladies at the Hartford Meadows this summer.

How often do you call home? Once every two weeks

How often does home call you? Once a week

Three books in your ideal library: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden, Walden Pond by Henry David Thoreau and Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling

Three people, dead or alive, with whom you want to have dinner, and what you would serve: Summer Sanders, J.F.K. and Chris Farley. I would serve a big Italian dinner.

Three foods you always want stocked in you kitchen: Kraft acaroni and Cheese, Goldfish and homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Person who has influenced you the most: My [former] club team coach, Jim Ottman. He helped me set goals for myself in and out of the pool: to swim my best and keep up my grades and still have a life.

Have you been able to accomplish those goals? Yeah

One word your coach would use to describe you: Dedicated

Sibling: My brother, Alan, who is 15.

One word your brother would use to describe you: Crazy

Favorite television show: “The Simpsons”

One thing you would change about swimming: No Saturday morning practices at 7 a.m.

Favorite Super Bowl commercial: They were horrible commercials.

You are given the keys to any car, what do you drive off in? ercedes Benz

Best trip you have ever been on: I went to Spain my freshman year of high school for ten days. Spain is a beautiful country and it helped me improve my Spanish.

Favorite place: The beach. The Outerbanks of North Carolina.

Favorite place in Georgetown: The view from the top of Village A

Last time you cried: My high school graduation

Thing you missed most about high school: Being with my freinds. Hanging out on our senior lawn on a nice spring afternoon.

Thing you look forward to most in college: Making up my mind about choosing a major, so it doesn’t bother me any more.

Event you enjoy swimming the most: The 200m backstroke, because I’m more confident about my performance [in it than in other events].

Goals with which you entered Georgetown: My biggest goal was to have fun and improve my times. I’ve definitely had fun, and I hope to improve my times at the Big East [Championships].

Why did you choose Georgetown? It felt like a place where I could fit in and be part of a community. And I really like the city. I like how it’s internationally based and I like having the monuments close by.

One thing you must do in the next three years: Take a tour of the White House and see the cherry blossoms in the spring.

Best pool conditions in which to swim: On the cooler side and good ventilation

Worst thing that has happened to you thus far at Georgetown: Getting lost in D.C. at the beginning of the year. Not a nice part, either. I took a bus and I got off in a part I was not familiar with. I was on the way to the airport. I barely made it [in time to catch my plane].

What is under your bed right now? A lot of clothing. Some in drawers. Just piles. And a lot of dust.