In the Spotlight – Mike Lombardi

Charles Nailen/The Hoya

Sport: Baseball

Position: Catcher

Hometown: Brookhaven Hamlet, N.Y.

High School: St. Anthony’s High School

School/Year: MSB ’04

Majors: Management/Spanish

High School Highlights: Named the Nassau/Suffolk County Catholic High School Most Valuable Player in 1999 . NSCHSAA All-Academic from 1996 to 2000 . NSCHSA All-League for 1999 and 2000 . Played on the team that were the NSCASAA League Champions in 2000.

Georgetown Highlights: Captain of the team . Has finished top five in every offensive category since freshman year. 2003: All-Big East Conference Third Team . One of three team captains . Batted a team high of .374 . 2002: Named Most Valuable Player . 2001: Named Rookie of the Year

When did you first start playing baseball and how did you get started? I was five. That was when I was on my first official team. My dad was a baseball player, so ever since I was a baby we had balls and bats all around. Somehow he got a cone – one of those orange traffic cones – and used it as a tee for me, so I would hit the ball off the cone. He also had this 35-inch, 32-ounce bat. He made me swing this bat from both sides of the plate, 100 times every day. I hated it, but I think that’s the reason why I’m a switch hitter today. I guess it paid off.

Favorite aspect of baseball: There are two aspects I really like. First, because I’m a catcher, I’m in every play of the game. As the catcher, you call the shots, you’re the leader, the quarterback. And also, I like that someone has to win – there are no ties. You just keep playing and playing until someone wins. It really pushes you to win that much more.

Biggest obstacle you’ve had to overcome: It would probably be trying to succeed and make baseball my profession one day without coming from a “baseball school.” We haven’t done that well in the past couple of years, so it’s hard to work against everything that’s in your favor and show everyone that you can make it in baseball. It’s just hard overcoming that misconception that people have of not going to a “baseball school” – people assume you’re not a good player, and that’s not true.

Person you aspire most to be like: My parents. They just have so much passion for their kids – they juggle jobs and are able to devote so much time to my sister and me. People say that they want to come back as my father in a future life because they say he’s got the greatest life. He never misses a game of mine – he comes to all of them, to all of the away games and everything. That’s how I want to be when I have a family of my own.

If you could switch lives with any fictional character for a day, who would it be and why? John McClane from Die Hard because the movie’s great and he’s a badass in all the movies. I think it’d be cool.

Top three fantasy baseball picks: A-Rod, Mark Prior and Jason Varitek.

Favorite way to relax: Just to go out to dinner with, go to the movies with or to play cards with my girlfriend. Just spending time with her.

Most prized possession: I have a plaque signed by Mickey Mantle and a personalized baseball signed by Willie Mays. Also, once my parents were at a function at the Waldorf, and Joe DiMaggio was there. My mom asked him if he would sign a baseball for me and he refused. And she starts arguing with him – one of the greatest players in baseball – in the middle of his dinner, with his bodyguards there and everything. He wouldn’t sign a baseball, but he did sign a program, so I have that. But it’s probably not worth as much.

Hobbies/Collections: I collected baseball cards at one point, but it’s nothing to brag about. I’ve also danced since I was two – I took tap, jazz and ballet. I danced until I was 18 and then stopped because I came to college. y mom put me in dance lessons when I was two and I didn’t know any better. But I really loved it. It helped with my flexibility, too. If I didn’t play baseball, that’s probably what I’d be doing.

One thing you do to get psyched for a game: I don’t get psyched. I try to concentrate and focus my efforts on the game and task at hand. I visualize my bat and the baseball, either coming out of the pitcher’s hand or hitting it, and I just try to mentally prepare myself.

Three things you always keep in your fridge: Orange juice, cream cheese and batteries.

If you were stranded on a desert island with one TV series, one CD, and one book, what would you bring with you? TV series: “Different Strokes” – I loved that show; CD: Linkin Park, Meteora; Book: How to Get Off a Desert Island if You Were Stranded on One.

Movie you could watch 100 times and not get sick of: My Cousin Vinny, Zoolander and A Night at the Roxbury.

Most interesting person you’ve met: Honestly, probably my sister [Jennifer, 19]. We’re the same, but we’re different. She looks at things from a different perspective, a different light and angle. I’ve learned a lot from her.

Most embarrassing moment: I was at a baseball tournament in Pensacola, Fla., the summer after my senior year of high school. We were leaving there to go to Atlanta, Ga., but before we left, some friends and I rented a jet ski in the Gulf of exico. I had my wallet in my back pocket, but when we came back to the dock I realized that I had lost it. My dad called the Coast Guard the next day and they had found it, but they had been searching for my body for four hours already. I couldn’t believe it.

Worst fear: Failure. It’s my worst fear, but it’s also my strongest motivation, so it’s kind of a two-way street.

Where do you see yourself five years from now? Hopefully, playing major league baseball. If the baseball thing doesn’t work out, then working for Hedge Funds Industry – it’s basically a giant mutual fund that corporations trade and sell.

If you could relive one moment in your life, what would it be? This past summer I played in the New England College Summer League for baseball and we won the entire league and I caught the championship game. So I’d probably relive the last out in the game. We got $450 rings that the league bought for us and there were 3,000 fans on this tiny field. It was great.

If you could play on any other Georgetown team, what would it be and why? Probably football. I wish I’d played football in high school, but I played soccer so I couldn’t. I’d love to play quarterback for the team though.

Thing you’ll miss most about college: Definitely my friends, without a doubt. They say that the institution teaches you so much, but the people here teach you so much about yourself, others and the world in general. I’m just going to miss that experience so much.

Plans for after graduation: Right now I’m undecided. I’m hoping that the Major League draft will call my name in June, so I’m waiting to hear.

Worst job you’ve ever had: Truth be told, I’ve never really had a job. I’ve always played summer ball, so I could never work. All of my friends tease me about that, but I had to help this guy build a barn once. His name was Mr. Hemmerdinger. I was playing baseball in a summer league in Cotuit in Cape Cod, and they set us up with jobs. So I helped him build this massive barn, painted it and everything. I hated going there. I’d have to get there at eight and then work there until twelve and then get to my game by two. It was awful.

Dream car: Any kind of Aston Martin, like in the movie Swordfish.

If you could meet anyone, who would it be and why? The Pope, because he’s the closest human being to God.

Habit or quirk that your friends tease you about: Before each game I stretch and that includes doing a split. They get on me for that.

Favorite professor at Georgetown: Professor Bies. I’ve taken three classes with him: Management and Organizational Behavior, Leadership and Power, and my favorite class, which was Imagination and Creativity. He has great classes, great discussions and great projects. He made me “think outside the box.” I hated when his class was over and I had to leave.

One thing you hope to do before graduation: As a team, I’d like to play consistent baseball enough so we can have a winning record.

Most interesting place you’ve been to: Tondorf Road – sophomore year my roommate, my friend, and I had a fascination with that place because of the name. Good for Mr. Tondorf.

Favorite food: My grandfather’s linguini and clams. It’s unbelievable.

What did you want to be when you were little? A professional wrestler. Then I went through a hockey phase for a year and then I wanted to play European soccer. But underneath it all, I think I had a burning desire to play baseball.

First thing you would do if you won the lottery: Pay off my parents’ mortgage.

One piece of advice you would give to an incoming freshman: Try to do as much as you can here. Try to take advantage of your surroundings and have fun. That’s what you’re here for. Work hard, play hard.

What’s under your bed right now? A pair of tap shoes and a Clay Aiken CD.