In the Spotlight: Scott Schroeder

IN THE SPOTLIGHT In the Spotlight: Scott Schroeder By John-Paul Hezel Hoya Staff Writer

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya

Quick Facts

Sport: Lacrosse

Position: Goalie

Hoya Honors: Team Captain, 2001 First Team All-ECAC

Age: 21

Height/Weight: 5-10, 180

Hometown: Summit, N.J.

High School: Summit H.S.

School/Year: MSB ’02

Major: Finance

Georgetown Career Stats

Year Games Minutes Saves

1999 1 8 2

2000 15 855 178

2001 13 772 156

Totals: 29 1635 336

Year GA Save % GAA

1999 5 .286 37.50

2000 155 .535 10.88

2001 109 .589 8.47

Totals: 269 .558 9.76

Family Influence

Scott didn’t want to see his dad’s face after letting in 18 goals to Massachusetts his sophomore year. He didn’t think he disappointed his father, but it was far from Scott’s finest sporting moment – especially with his family looking on.

“[It was] on the embarrassing side,” Scott said with a chuckle. “We won the game, but my grandparents were there and my dad.”

“He’s my role model,” Scott said of his father. “I look up to him.”

Intense, competitive and a lover of sports, Scott’s father, Steve, coached Scott in football and baseball when Scott was a kid. Steve has instilled over the years the same determination to succeed as he had in college as a football player for Miami (Ohio).

Scott calls his father the most influenctial person in his life and shows his appreciation for him every time he runs onto the field.

Scott wears on his jersey the number 15, the same that his father wore as a three-sport athlete at Summit High School in Summit, N.J. Scott’s older brother, also named Steve, wore 15 as a member of the Duke Blue Devils baseball team.

“It’s kind of the family number,” Scott said.

The elder Steve married his high school sweetheart, Pamela, and the two have raised their family of four boys – Steve, 23; Scott, 21; Keith, 18; Robbie, 16 – in Summit ever since. Keith will attend Georgetown next year and play football.

All four boys have attended Summit High School, just like their parents.

Scott is close to both of his parents, yet he has a very different relationship with each.

“I talk to my mom on the phone more,” Scott said. “She gives me advice with women and academic oriented [advice]. We’re very open [with each other].”

“[My dad] is an intense guy. He gets more involved in sports … And he gives me invaluable advice on life and everything I do.”

The best piece of advice Steve ever gave his son was to put his “best foot forward and leave nothing behind.”

“Always be able to look yourself in the mirror and say you did the best you could,” Scott said. “Always give it your best shot.”

Scott has done more than give it is best shot. After choosing to pick up the stick and goalie mask rather than the baseball bat and glove, a decision Scott calls the “toughest” of his life, he has excelled in every athletic venture he has undertaken.

In high school, Scott earned 11 varsity letters, captained the lacrosse, hockey and football teams, earned All-American and First Team All-State honors in 1998 and won a Gold Medal in the Garden State Games.

In 1999, Scott started in goal for the under 19 U.S.A. Lacrosse team that participated in Australia. The tournament is the under 19 equivalent of the World Games held every four years. Besides reaching the NCAA Final Four his freshman year at Georgetown, Scott deems the trip to Australia the greastest sporing experience of his life.

And to make the trip more special, Scott’s entire family traveled over 10,000 miles to watch him compete down under, keeping up the tradition of supporting Scott wherever he plays.

“They never miss a game,” he said.

They are present even for his worst performances, which, lucky for the Hoyas, he does not have very often.

Q & A

Favorite Class at Georgetown: HIV/AIDS with Professor Lachat, because of my roommate Phil’s final project: a history of his sexual past.

Favorite thing to do on a date: Play footsies under the dinner table

Three books you want in your ideal library: Fire and Ice by Eric Lindros, Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger, The Legend of Bagger Vance: Golf and the Game of Life by William Morrow

Pre-game ritual: I seclude myself and put the headphones on and just think about the game for about an hour. I have the same mix I listen to before every game – Metallica, Rage Against the achine, Survivor, AC/DC

Most embarrassing moment: Getting my pants pulled down at the senior auction at Rhinos. It was me and my roommate, and we were up on a pedestal doing a strip tease. We were down to our boxers and some girl pulled them down.

Craziest thing you’ve ever done: Attempting to go surfing in Hawaii in about eight feet of water with coral all over the ground and never having surfed before. It was a disaster. I got all cut up. Sky diving in Hawaii, too. Once you’re back on land, it’s the biggest thrill you’ll ever have.

Least favorite Olympic sport: Curling

Favorite Quote: “Every day’s a holiday, every meal’s a banquet.”

– Head Coach David Urick

What is under your bed right now? A couple pairs of shoes. Some dirty underwear. Nothing important.