In the Spotlight: Sean Lynch

Charles Nailen/The Hoya  

Sport: Hockey

Position: Center

Hometown: Omaha, Neb.

High School: Omaha Creighton Prep

School/Year: COL ’04

Major: Biology (Pre-med)

High School Highlights: Three-year letterman . Two-time captain of the hockey team . Named All-state academic three years . Voted most dedicated player by teammates . ember of National Honor Society . Earned first academic honors four years.

Georgetown Highlights: Treasurer of club hockey team . Third leading scorer on team . Scored two goals in the third period against Loyola to lead the team to a 7-5 victory . Went to Nationals freshman and sophomore years . Named ason-Dixon League Champs for the 2000 season.

When did you first start playing hockey? I started playing in first grade; I was seven years old. I got a flier at school and it looked like something interesting to do with my free time. I had to beg my mom to play because she thought I’d get hurt. I think the fact that she knew nothing about hockey didn’t help.

Other clubs/activities you’re involved in on-campus? I’m on the advisory board for club sports. It’s a group that club team captains and presidents can come to where they can talk about concerns that they may have with their teams and ways to make club sports at Georgetown better.

Have you ever been ejected from a game? Yeah, last Friday against the University of Maryland. One of my teammates got jumped and there was this guy on top of him, just punching him. The ref got me confused with one of two guys – either the guy who started the fight by hitting a kid over the head with a stick or the guy in the fight. I’m not really sure which one, but whichever one it was, I got thrown out. When I was waiting out in the hall, the Maryland guy was pretty mad that the wrong guy had gotten thrown out.

Best class you have taken at Georgetown: Introduction to Psychology with Professor [Benjamin] Walker. He’s probably one of the funniest teachers I’ve ever had. He really made the class material interesting, and it was a really interactive class – we could ask questions and we talked about crazy people.

Coolest road-trip you’ve ever taken: It’d have to be when I was in third grade. We won our regional in hockey and got to go to the Silver Stick Finals. We took a bus from Omaha to Detroit, and it was probably the longest bus ride I’ve ever been on – we left at 6 a.m. and didn’t get there until 2 a.m. the next day because we had bus problems. It was about twenty ten-year-olds with very little adult supervision. I had so much caffeine on that trip I couldn’t sleep for two days and we played video games and had food fights. One kid threw up in the middle of the aisle – he had just finished a pizza and I bet him $10 he couldn’t put Pop Rocks into a coke and chug it. I remember one of the parents just cleaning it up by putting newspapers over it. After that road-trip the parents who were there said they’d never go on another bus trip, and the bus driver said he was done with kids – he was going to stick to senior citizens.

Favorite quote or personal motto: Treat others as you want yourself to be treated.

Favorite T.V. show growing up: “Saved by the Bell.” I just remember I would come home and watch an hour of it, and then I’d turn the channel to Fox, and they’d have another hour. It was like a marathon.

How old were you when you learned to skate? I tried to learn when I was four. I hated it. The lady who tried to teach me had to be the most bitter woman. I would ask her for an orange cone because all of the other kids had them to help them skate and she would say – she had a real thick Eastern European accent – “No, you become strong skater without orange cone!” My knees were so bruised – I just wanted an orange cone! Finally I really learned to skate when I started playing hockey.

Boxers or briefs: Boxers. Gotta let the air circulate.

Most memorable hockey game: I was twelve years old, and we were playing in a championship game. There were a couple of minutes left and we were down by a goal. I had hurt myself a few plays earlier, and the coach wasn’t going to put me back in. But I said to him, “Coach, just put me in. I’ll score a goal.” He put me back in and I scored the game-tying goal and we went into overtime. Then it went into a shoot-out and I scored the game-wining goal.

What kind of doctor do you want to be and when did you realize it? I want to be either an orthopedic surgeon or a pediatric surgeon. I didn’t really know until this summer – I worked in the ICU of a hospital and I just remember the power a doctor has. A doctor can take a person in the most fragile state and in a minute totally relax them and make them secure in what they’re going to do for them.

Favorite part of a Thanksgiving meal: My mom makes good stuffing, because it’s not dry. It’s a running joke in our family – I always have to put gravy on the turkey more than normal because my mom still hasn’t mastered how to cook a turkey. But she tries hard, I’ll give her that much.

If you were stranded on an island with one CD, one book, and one person, what/who would you bring with you? CD: Weezer’s The Blue Album, Book: The Lord of the Flies, Person: My brother, Ryan, 20, because I’d have someone to boss around – he’d be my little gopher. And we always have interesting conversations.

Earliest memory: Jumping off my bed because I thought I could fly, and cracking my head on a table and having to get stitches. I was two or three years old, and I was absolutely convinced I was Superman. I had just seen a cartoon and thought I could fly. I think it was at that point that my parents knew they had their hands full.

Do you have any nicknames? T. Sean or T. When I was a junior in high school, one of my teachers was reading roll call and saw that I had a T in front of my name – my real name is Thomas – and he thought it sounded cool to call me T. Sean. Then everyone just started calling me that. It adds a little bit of “flava”.

Freshman dorm: New South, third floor.

Best thing about living there: Probably the social aspect of the floor. The doors were always open and you could just walk by and have a conversation with people. And the view of the Potomac wasn’t bad.

If you could possess any one talent, what would it be? I would probably want to be a musician. I just think that’s the coolest thing. I’ve tried several times to play guitar, and it’s been fruitless. But to hold people’s attention by possessing one talent – that’s the most incredible thing.

Personality trait that annoys you most about a person: People who aren’t true to themselves, people who try to be someone else.

Thing you miss most about living at home: Being treated like a king. When I go home – since I’m so far away, I don’t get to go home that often – my mom gets so excited to see me that she makes me breakfast and basically she’ll do anything, even clean my room. Then within a few days I’ve worn out my welcome and it’s time for me to go back to school.

Favorite song: “Cruel Summer” by Bananarama. If I were a stripper, that would definitely be the song I’d strip to.

If you could own any sports franchise, which one would you choose and why? It would have to be the Boston Celtics because growing up – I used to live in Boston – I knew everything there was about all of the players. There’s just something about the tradition of the Celtics. I would want to own the Bruins, too. Plus, if I were the owner, I wouldn’t be cheap – I would spend the money to get good players.

Do you believe in the Curse of the Bambino? A little bit. How can a ball, a routine grounder, go right between your legs? There’s got to be a force outside this world that’s affecting them.

If you were going to die tomorrow, what would you want your last meal to be? I’d start off with a Caesar salad, then I’d have a steak with a baked potato with only butter. And I’d have a cheesecake and a six-pack of Bud Light (or Pepsi).

Favorite place to eat in Georgetown: Chu’s Cafe on Prospect Street. I think it’s the best Chinese food I’ve ever had in my whole life. I order the same thing every time I go – Chicken Fried Rice with a Dr. Pepper.

Person who can always make you laugh: My roommates because they just do stupid stuff.

Favorite snack-food: Sun Chips, Original. I could buy a big bag and eat it all in one sitting.

What kind of car do you drive? 1990 Ford Explorer. Before, I had a 1986 black and red Chevy Blazer. It was the biggest piece of crap on earth. My friends would be waiting outside for me because they could hear me coming down the street – we called it “The Low Rumble.” But I loved that car more than anything – she had personality.

Most memorable Georgetown experience, to date: My 21st birthday. y roommates threw me a surprise-party, and I didn’t expect it.

Three magazines on your ideal coffee table: ESPN The Magazine, Sports Illustrated, and Muscle Magazine.

If you could have any actor play you in a movie, who would you choose and why? Stiffler from American Pie because we’re both loud and he has a way with the ladies . especially the more mature ladies.

Favorite thing about hockey: The team camaraderie. There’s a nice element to it – being able to get off campus and not worrying about the responsibilities here. It’s a time to get away and have fun.

What’s under your bed right now? I have some boxes, a broken hockey stick and an extra jock – it might come in handy.