In the Spotlight: Tony Bethel

Sport: Basketball

Position: Shooting Guard

Hometown: Fort Washington, Md.

High Schools: Bishop McNamara (first three years) and Montrose Christian (Sr. year)

School/Year: COL ’05

Major: Undecided

Georgetown Highlights: 2001 . Scored double figures in all but four games in which he played . Averaged more than 10 points per game . Set career highs in consecutive games with 20 points at Pittsburgh and nine rebounds versus Syracuse.

Why did you transfer high schools? I transferred because my parents thought it’d be a better situation for me – both for academics and basketball. It gave me a chance to know another player here, [sophomore guard] Drew Hall. It was good to know another person before I got here.

When did you first start playing basketball? When I was three. y older brother played. As a younger brother you follow what your older brother did – he played, so I did.

Favorite professional team: The Chicago Bulls, because Michael Jordan played for them.

What’s your greatest basketball-related memory? My summer going into ninth grade when I first dunked the ball. I was on a summer basketball team and I was on a fast break and dunked the ball with one hand. It was the first time I ever did it.

Who is the most influential person in your life? My brother, Eric. He’s 24. He’s basically taught me everything I know. It’s like a cycle – my father taught him and handed it over to my brother to teach me.

Best thing about playing basketball at Georgetown: My father was a big Hoya fan back in the day. My favorite player was Allen Iverson who played here. And so it has always been a dream of mine to come and play here.

Favorite Quote: Hard work pays off.

If you were given a $1 million tomorrow, what would you do with it? Buy my parents a beach house in Florida and send them out there so they can just relax for once in their lives.

Dream job: Playing in the NBA. That’s what I’d love to do – play basketball, so I might as well get paid for it. It doesn’t matter what team, but I would like to go out West.

Have you ever met anyone famous? Yes, two summers ago Michael Jordan came to McDonough to play and I met him. We played against him, and I checked him.

Do you play an instrument? It was a rule for my family – my mom said we had to play an instrument for two years. I played the drums in middle school, from seventh to eighth grade.

Coolest place you’ve ever been: My father’s in the army and I lived in Hawaii for three years. We lived on an army base, which was not very different, but then we went off base to go to the beaches – people speak different languages and are from different backgrounds.

Favorite food: Cheeseburger

Do you get nervous before a game? Yes, it’s like a big rush. At first when the game starts, I look around at the crowd and look for my parents and see all the people in the crowd. I used to feel pressured, but now I don’t. I block them out and pretend they’re not there. It can be good because they cheer you on, but I really try not to pay too much attention to the crowd.

What do you think is the biggest misconception about basketball players? That they’re all about basketball and not anything else. We have further goals in life than just playing basketball. Also, people think that we’re just sitting in class just trying to get by. But we work – we’re not just trying to get by.

Favorite professor at Georgetown: Fr. [first name] Kemp. I had him for The Church and the Poor. He has a motto in class of just keeping it real. We dealt with real-life subjects that a lot of people try to ignore.

What do you do to get psyched for a game? I listen to music and just focus on winning and what I need and the team needs to do. I play to win, and I focus on the team getting ready to win, and that gets me hyped. If you love something you don’t need to do anything to get hyped – you just do it.

CD in your stereo right now: A mix CD of stuff downloaded from the computer. It’s Rap and R&B.

If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be? Halle Berry, ’cause she’s nice. I like her a lot – I’ve liked her for a long time.

Favorite restaurant in Georgetown: I like Wisemiller’s. I get the Chicken Madness or Burger Madness.

Where do you see yourself five years from now? Hopefully, I will be playing in the NBA. If not, then somewhere teaching, trying to make an impact on younger people and coaching.

Movie you could watch 100 times and never get sick of: All About the Benjamins

What’s the most demanding aspect of basketball? The time and hard work and energy. The only spare time I get is to study or sleep, so I do that.

Favorite book: Michael Jordan. I got it two Christmases ago.

One thing you hope to accomplish before you graduate: When I leave here I just want people to remember Tony Bethel. I want them to say he was a nice guy who did a good thing. He gave his all at what he did.

What’s under your bed right now? Shoes, some lint balls.