In the Spotlight: Walid Hajj

Charles Nailen/The Hoya

Sport: Lacrosse

Position: Midfield

Hometown: Baltimore, Md.

High School: McDonogh High School

School/Year: COL ’04

Major: Government

High School Highlights: Selected to First Team All-State . Played on the state championship team in 1999 and was on the 1999 Bay State team . Played on the three-time conference championship football team and was named All-City and All-County.

Georgetown Highlights: 2004: One of four captains . Named to the 2004 ECAC Lacrosse Preseason All-League team . Earned Face-Off Yearbook 2004 Preseason First Team All-American honors . 2003: Chosen for the 2003 STX/USILA Honorable Mention All-American team and to the 2003 ECAC All-League Second team . Finished fourth on the team in scoring, with a career-high 30 points . Georgetown’s goal leader, with 23 . 2002: Finished fifth on the team in scoring . Scored 15 goals over the season . 2001: Played in every game as a freshman as a defensive middle.

Greatest sports-related achievement: Well, last year being selected as an All-American was a pretty big deal. Or, in high school, my junior year we were ranked No. 1 in the country and won the championship.

Biggest obstacle you have had to overcome: One of the bigger obstacles was when I was a sophomore in high school and my house burnt down. I pretty much lost all of my stuff. What was worse was that my mom lost all of her stuff, and helping her get through that was really tough. We pretty much had to start over with possessions – old pictures, everything was gone.

Biggest misconception that other people have of you: A lot of people say I can be lazy at times, which I don’t think is the full truth. I think I’m a very active person, especially now because it’s senior year.

Hardest lesson you have had to learn at Georgetown: As a sophomore, when I got taken out of the starting lineup, it took me about a month to get back in. I’m pretty competitive, and that was pretty hard for me. I was pretty down that whole month.

What did you want to be when you were younger? When I was really young, I wanted to play pro football. In high school that changed – I played football, but I wasn’t as serious about it as I was before.

If you could meet anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why? Probably my grandfather – my dad’s father. I’ve never met him and my dad’s never met him either because he died when my father was a kid. For my dad’s sake, I’d like to meet him and know where he came from.

Person you admire the most: My father, because he’s been through the most. He doesn’t know his family, except his mother. He came over from the Middle East alone after the war, as a teenager. Now he’s a very successful doctor in Baltimore. His perseverance has just meant a lot to me.

If you could trade places with any one person for a day, who would it be and why? Right now, probably LeBron James, just to see what he experiences. He’s a 19-year-old kid and has all the money in the world and all the fame. I’d just like to see what it’s like.

If you could have complete knowledge over any one subject, what would it be and why? Current political events, everything that’s going on in the world. I don’t think I know enough about it – I don’t read the newspaper enough or watch the news enough.

First childhood memory: At my old house – I think I was 4 or 5 – I remember my dad got me training wheels on my bike. And he pushed me down this hill – it wasn’t very steep at all – and I ended up falling down the hill. I guess I just thought he would be there holding on, but he wasn’t and I fell. I didn’t ride my bike again for three years after that. It was pretty traumatizing.

What do you miss most about living at home? My mom’s cooking. I didn’t think I’d miss it because you get sick of it after having it for so long. But obviously coming to Georgetown, I eat the worst food possible now.

Best home-cooked meal: The lasagna my mom makes.

If you could have any actor play you in a movie, who would it be and why? Probably someone like Jim Carrey or another comedian who could put a funny twist on it.

Non-sports-related achievement you are proudest of: Just getting into Georgetown. My brother and sister are considered the “smart ones” in the family and they didn’t get in. Obviously I wish they did, but it’s just something that separates us.

Most interesting place you have ever traveled to: Lebanon. This past summer was the second time I’d been there. The first time I went, when I was 10, it was in bad shape – you could see gun holes and the bombings all over. But now it’s all back to normal.

One thing you wish you had known before coming to college: How fast it’s gone by. I’m not prepared for next year. I wish I’d been more so.

Best concert you have ever been to: Jimmy Buffett, the summer after freshman year, right before coming back to school. I like his music a lot, and his concerts are really fun to go to.

If you could be great at any sport other than lacrosse, what would it be and why? Probably basketball. It’s a team sport, but people also stand out. It’s also got the most money, which can’t hurt, and the most fame.

Favorite movie: Goodfellas.

Least favorite movie: Joe Dirt.

Best class you have taken at Georgetown: Politics and Film with Professor Langenbacher. We analyzed politics related to all different movies, like South Park. I realized that all of these movies have a lot of political relevance. I learned a lot from that class, and I can never watch movies the same way anymore.

Three magazines on your ideal coffee table: Sports Illustrated, People and Time.

One bad habit you have: A lot of people say that I mumble a lot. My mom gets on my case a lot about that.

Stereotype about lacrosse players that you hate the most: People say that they’re sort of jerks and cocky. It really bothers me because I’d say about 85 to 90 percent of the team is not like that.

One goal you have for before graduation: Getting to the final four in lacrosse and playing in Baltimore at [M&T Bank] Stadium, where the Ravens play. Forty thousand people come to the final four, and I’ve never played in front of that many people.

If you were to die tomorrow, what would you want your last meal to be? A burrito from Chipotle and chocolate cake from Morton’s.

Favorite thing to order at Wisey’s: The Peggy’s Special.

Where do you see yourself five years from now? Hopefully back here in D.C., working in real estate maybe.

One word you would use to describe yourself: Adventurous.

One word your best friend would use to describe you: Sympathetic.

Most adventurous thing you have done: When I was 14 or 15, I went hang gliding in North Carolina with friends. We were 15,000 feet in the air. Some of my friends thought it was scary, but I had a great time.

One thing a lot of people do not know about you: That I’m a pretty good cook.

Best thing you know how to cook: Chocolate chip pancakes.

Person who knows you the best: Probably my older brother, Ahmad. We’re very close.

Biggest sacrifice you have had to make for sports: Senior year in high school, I got suspended from the lacrosse team for breaking the rules. I probably could have gotten away with it – a lot of athletes got caught, and they wanted the other people to come forth, and a lot of guys didn’t. But as a team captain, I felt that I had to. I lost my captaincy and got suspended for five or six games. It was a big sacrifice for me.

One thing that always puts you in a good mood: Talking to my sister, Bana. She’s in Lebanon, and she’s going to be there for the next five years. She’s going to school and then going to do her master’s there. I grew up with her and don’t get to talk to her that much now that she’s abroad.

One thing you want to be remembered for: My resilience, always being able to bounce back. It’s one thing that my mom’s taught me. She’s been through a lot, and that’s what I admire her the most for. I’d like for people to see that trait in me and admire me for that maybe.

What is under your bed right now? A lot of trash and dirty laundry.