Jeff Green Finishing What He Started

If any of you were here this summer taking classes, you might have seen a very familiar face walking around campus.

Jeff Green, a starting forward for the Oklahoma City Thunder and former star of the 2007 Georgetown Final Four team, could be found Mondays through Thursdays walking to and from classes. Green has decided to finish his degree and is expected to graduate in 2012.

“It felt really weird to be on campus again as a student just for the fact that I have been out of school for 2 years,” Green said.

Green is an English major, and this summer he completed 12 credits. He said that his favorite class this summer was his art class, more formally known as Intro to Print Making.

On his favorite part of being back on campus, he said, “I would have to say that it was seeing familiar faces, especially professors and students that were here when I was here before.”

Besides taking classes, Green was on a very tight schedule. Describing his summer in one word he quickly said, “Exhausting!”

Below is a typical day for Jeff Green during the summer of 2009:

7 a.m. – Wake up

7:15 a.m. – Walk his new dog, Rumble (some of you would be happy to know he is a Bull Dog!)

7:30 a.m. – Breakfast & shower

8:30 a.m. – workout (this was usually weight training and agility)

10:30 a.m. — 12:30 p.m. – Class

12: 30 p.m. — 1:30 p.m. – Lunch

1:30 p.m. — 3:30 p.m. – Class

4:30 p.m. — 6 p.m. – Workout (this was usually basketball-related)

8 p.m. – Dinner

I would have to agree that “exhausting” is a good word to describe Green’s summer. Green did make some room for a little vacation. At the beginning of the summer he went to Costa Rica for 10 days and for the Fourth of July he spent a weekend in Ocean City, Md. Other than that, he relaxed with his family in Virginia and spent quality time with the loved ones that he doesn’t get to see during the season.

At the end of July, Green experienced something many basketball players never do: he was asked to try out for the U.S. team. He flew to Vegas and played against the best players in the NBA for three days in hopes of making the U.S.team for the next Olympics.

“This was really exciting for me to know that I might have the chance to represent our country, and I was even more excited because I was asked to try out after only my second year in the NBA,” Green said.

Green has now returned to Oklahoma City to get ready for the upcoming season. Individually, he said he wants to improve every facet of his game, but specifically, he wants to work on being consistent. As for the team, Green said that he hopes the team is better than last year and makes a run at the playoffs.

Jeff Green obviously accomplished a great deal during his time here as a full-time student, and unlike many professional athletes he has come back to get his degree. Green had a very intense summer, but his degree should only make him better and will allow him to achieve the many goals that he has set. All Hoya fans reason to be proud of him.

eredith Cox is a senior on the women’s basketball team and is also a consistent contributor to Hoya Insider. Inside Look provides an athlete’s perspective on other Georgetown sports.”