Jessie Sapp Headed for Glasgow, British Basketball League

Image Contributor
Jessie Sapp struggled as a senior, but had nine points and four steals against Louisville.

Jessie Sapp (COL ’09) will soon be joining the ranks of Hoyas hitting the courts in Europe. The former Georgetown standout signed last week with the Glasgow Rocks of the British Basketball League. The Rocks finished sixth last season with a 16-17 record.

Sapp, a three-year starter for the Hoyas, averaged 9.1 points and 3.5 assists per game in 2006-2007 as a sophomore to help Georgetown reach its first Final Four appearance since 1985. He followed that up in his junior season with 9.7 points, 4.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists per game as Georgetown won its second straight Big East championship. Sapp’s senior season was not what many expected, as the Hoyas exited in the first round of both the Big East tournament and the National Invitational Tournament. Personally, he saw his playing time diminish and his production drop to just 6.5 points per game.

Despite the setback last year, the Rocks are enthusiastic about the addition of Sapp, their third American acquisition of the offseason, to their squad.

“Jesse is a very athletic, strong guard that I feel I will be able to utilize at both the one and two positions,” Rocks player/coach Sterling Davis said in an official statement. “He is a very intelligent player who has a knack for making things happen on the floor.”

Davis is particularly excited about Sapp’s presence down the stretch. As a junior, Sapp played a key role in come from behind victories for the Hoyas over Syracuse and West Virginia.

“With his background in the game, we will be getting a great competitor who knows what it takes to win. We are definitely looking forward to getting him here.”

Sapp, who could not be reached for comment, expressed his own excitement on Twitter where he tweeted his gratitude for his time at Georgetown.

“Special shout out to my Georgetown family . [I] have learned so much from that place and [I] will carry that name on my back forever,” he said, later adding, “When [I] say family [I] mean students, fans, teammates, faculty, coaches, professors, alumni, even the bulldog, [I] love you all.”

Sapp will be joining former Hoyas such as Jonathan Wallace (COL ’08), Brandon Bowman (COL ’06), Kevin Braswell (COL ’02) and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje (COL ’01), all of whom are currently playing in Europe.”