Jewish Fraternity Recognized as National Chapter

The Georgetown University Alpha Epsilon Pi Jewish fraternity was formally recognized as a national chapter at a ceremony Saturday evening at the Hyatt Regency Bethesda. Approximately 200 fraternity brothers, their family members and dates attended the official chartering, which was followed by a formal black-tie affair at the hotel.

Despite the fraternity’s chartering, university bylaws prevent Georgetown from formally recognizing AEP. The student handbook states that “Georgetown University does not permit single sex fraternities or sororities to operate on its campus and does not affiliate with groups under the auspices of the Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council or Panhellenic Council.”

In order to be recognized as one of 115 chapters in the U.S. and Canada, a prospective chapter must demonstrate two successful rushes, which means the second class must be 15 percent larger than the original, AEP President Dan Shaffer (MSB ’03) said. The fraternity’s statutes also mandate that a chapter fulfill several other philanthropic, social and academic responsibilities.

“The event was really special not only because we officially became a chapter but also because I got to spend it with 40 other guys that I truly care about,” AEP brother Jordan Sternlieb (MSB ’05) said. “It was emotional because we all reminisced about the great times we’ve had together.”

About 15 executives from the offices of AEP International attended the event, along with fraternity brothers from schools such as UCLA, University of Maryland and American University.

Georgetown’s AEP chapter, which inducted its second pledge class this past Friday, has about 50 active members. It recently announced plans for the first annual Georgetown University Underwear Run to benefit the D.C.-area homeless population. The event takes place Nov. 8, and all proceeds will be donated to the Community for Creative Nonviolence, a full service homeless shelter. It is being co-sponsored by several other campus organizations including GUSA, The Corp and the Lecture Fund.