Lachman’s Goal Helps GU Defeat Longwood in OT

Georgetown field hockey is taking it down to the wire.

The Hoyas went into a total of five overtimes, including two rounds of penalty strokes, in their second and third games of the season and came out even. Though Georgetown lost to Radford, 3-2, in four overtimes on Saturday, the Hoyas came back to learn from history and did not repeat it in Wednesday’s match against Longwood, reversing the score with a 3-2 victory in a single overtime.

Before succumbing to Radford, Georgetown survived 100 minutes of play. After taking a 2-2 tie through two scoreless overtime periods, the teams went to a shootout. In the first round of penalty strokes, each team made three goals while each keeper saved one, sending the two teams into a second round. Only after the Hoyas’ fifth shot went wide did Highlander senior back Cortney Brown find the back of the net to end the game 3-2 in Radford’s favor.

Despite the loss, Head Coach Laurie Carroll said that the team walked off the field feeling proud. “They had smiles on their faces. They fought hard and they played well.”

Freshman goalkeeper Deirdre Crovo totaled 14 saves in her first full-game appearance.

“She grew up quickly in one game,” Carroll said. “She did great with it.” Crovo went on to guard the net for the entirety of Wednesday’s game as well.

The endurance and experience that the Hoyas gained from its overtime loss helped Georgetown earn its first win of the season, overcoming Longwood 3-2 at home on Kehoe Field.

Georgetown was aggressive offensively in the first half, outshooting its opponent 11-4, but Longwood’s offense was more effective, netting a goal while Georgetown failed to produce on any shot.

The Hoyas hit the net 11 minutes into the second half when senior forward Erica Chan tied the score off of an assist from freshman forward Maggie Farrand. Sophomore back Lauren Sheets gave Georgetown the 2-1 lead with 10 minutes to go off of an assist from junior back Megan Cellucci.

Longwood evened the score in the final five minutes, however, pushing the game into overtime. In the ninth minute of overtime play, Farrand assisted as freshman midfielder Katie Lachman scored the game’s winning goal, bringing the final tally to 3-2 with Georgetown on top.

The Hoyas outshot their opponents for the first time this season, topping the Lancers 23-11, including a persistent 14 shots on goal.

“It was a goal we had to shoot more, to take more risks on the offensive third of the field,” Carroll said. “We accomplished all goals that we set out to do. I was really proud of them.”

As for the next game, Carroll said, “Our goal is to win in regulation.”

Georgetown will take on Lehigh tomorrow at 1 p.m. on Kehoe Field.