Lacrosse Falls to Terps, Crushes Eagles

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Freshman attack Coco Stanwick had three goals against Boston College last weekend. The Hoyas rebounded from a tough loss with a 20-3 win over B.C.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team split games over the holiday break. The then-No. 2 Hoyas took their second loss of the season Wednesday, falling 13-8 to the No. 7 Maryland Terrapins. Georgetown rebounded in a big way on Saturday, however, dealing a 20-3 blow to Boston College at home.

Maryland boasted a 9-1 record coming into the first game, and Georgetown had beaten them only once in 14 attempts. The Terps tallied the first goal only 19 seconds into the contest. Sophomore attack Delia Cox found the back of the net for the 1-0 Maryland lead – the first time this season that the Hoyas have allowed their opponent to score first. Just 48 seconds later, Cox scored another unassisted goal, single-handedly opening a 2-0 lead over Georgetown.

Georgetown senior midfielder Gloria Lozano put the Hoyas on the board with a free-position goal nearly seven minutes into the game. Another Terp, senior midfielder Kelly Coppedge, scored consecutive goals to answer Georgetown’s attempt to get back into the game. A two-goal Georgetown run was again countered by a four-goal aryland streak. Finally, Georgetown senior midfielder Anouk Peters scored her first of two goals and junior mid Allison Chambers followed close behind. The Hoyas escaped the first half trailing 8-5 despite having faced a five-goal deficit at one point.

The teams traded goals over the first 15 minutes of the second half, Georgetown scoring three to Maryland’s two. Junior mids Lauren Redler and Lauryn Bernier each put in a free-position goal and junior attack Hollis Pica scored unassisted. With the score standing at 10-8, however, Maryland reeled off three straight, locking up the 13-8 upset.

Georgetown junior goaltender Sarah Robinson made eight saves while allowing all 13 goals, while Maryland’s junior goalie Kirah Miles reversed those numbers, making 13 saves and allowing eight Hoya goals.

Reeling from their second loss of the season, the Hoyas made the most of the opportunity to rebound when they took on Big East foe Boston College. Junior attack Catherine Elbe led the Hoyas in scoring with a career-high five goals, while senior midfielder ichi Ellers and freshman attack Coco Stanwick added three apiece. Freshmen midfielders Schuyler Sutton and Chloe Asselin tallied the first goals of their collegiate careers in the 20-3 walloping. The Hoyas also made 12 assists and caused 25 turnovers – both school records – while winning 14 of 25 draw controls and picking up 40 groundballs.

The game was one-sided from the beginning. The Hoyas tallied eight unanswered goals in the first 15 minutes before Eagles junior attack Courtney Legath put B.C. on the board. Pica and Peters tallied a goal each, giving Georgetown a 10-1 advantage. Legath closed out scoring in the first half for B.C., making it a 10-2 game with her second goal.

Boston College scored first in the second half when sophomore attack Elizabeth Kadison found the back of the net just 1:13 into the period. Georgetown seemed determined not to let Boston College back into the game, however. The Hoyas kept the Eagles from scoring again, while scoring 10 consecutive goals of their own throughout the remainder of the game.

Peters, Chambers and Pica each tallied two goals while junior midfielder Sarah Oliphant added a goal. In 52 minutes tending the net, Robinson made five saves, allowing the Eagles’ three goals. Freshman Margaret Farland picked up eight minutes in the cage but made no saves. Eagles sophomore goaltender Tara McKennett made eight saves but allowed all 20 Hoya goals.

Senior midfielder Michi Ellers picked up Big East Defensive Player of the Week honors for her work against Maryland and Boston College. Though she shares the honor with Notre Dame junior goaltender Carol Dixon, the title is her third of the season, tying her for the most defensive Conference honors in a season with former Hoya Bowen Holden (COL ’01) and Notre Dame’s Jen White. Ellers put up six caused turnovers and a groundball against aryland and contributed to three caused turnovers, two draw controls and a groundball against B.C. Overall, she leads the nation in caused turnovers, averaging four per game, and her average of 2.88 groundballs per game ranks her 14th in the NCAA.

Her defensive efforts will continue to be key when Georgetown returns to the field on Saturday, playing host to Notre Dame at 1 p.m. on North Kehoe Field. The Hoyas, who slipped to No. 5 after the loss at Maryland, will look to extend their Big East record to a perfect 5-0 while the No. 2 Fighting Irish will come in with a 10-0 and three Big East wins under their belt. The last time these two teams met, Georgetown escaped South Bend with a 16-15 overtime victory.