Lafayette Seniors Will Test Hoyas

LB Mark Leggiero

Last year when the Georgetown offense took the field against Lafayette, it was a matchup that the Leopards defense clearly enjoyed more. The Hoyas struggled en route to scoring only six points in a 24-6 loss, and then-junior linebacker Mark Leggiero was a big reason why. Leggiero, now a senior, terrorized Georgetown blockers and ballcarriers all game, registering seven total tackles. As remarkable as Leggiero’s performance was against Georgetown, it does not particularly stand out compared to a stellar season that saw him lead his team with 12.5 tackles for loss and log the second-highest number of total tackles (93). As impressive as last year was, greater things are expected of Leggiero this year, as the senior captain has been named the preseason Patriot League defensive player of the year.

If the Hoyas want to avoid a repeat of last year’s dismal offensive performance, they are going to have to prevent Leggiero from wreaking havoc behind the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately for the Hoyas, however, Leggiero is not the only impact player on an imposing Lafayette defense that was not only the stingiest in the Patriot League last year against the run – it allowed only 92.2 yards per game on the ground – but it was also the best scoring defense, holding opponents to a mere 17.5 points per game.

RB Maurice White

It won’t matter if the Hoyas can solve the problems that Leggiero and the rest of Lafayette’s defense pose if they cannot tackle senior running back Maurice White. White, who is small for a running back at 5-foot-8 and 205 pounds, is back for his senior season after running for 469 yards last year despite missing the last six games of the season with turf toe. White also had his sophomore year cut short after starting the first four games.

The Hoyas have had the distinct misfortune of playing Lafayette early in the season the past three years, meaning that White has had his way with the Georgetown defense. White’s dominance began in his freshman year when, despite being a backup, he ran for 67 yards, including a 28-yard touchdown jaunt, on just four carries. As the years have passed, White’s touches have gone up, a fact that has resulted in some impressive statistics in his career against Georgetown. Over the past three years, White has amassed 260 yards and three touchdowns on just 35 carries against the Hoyas. Last year, the Georgetown defense managed to keep White out of the end zone, but he still ran through the defense to the tune of 106 yards on 18 carries, good enough for a 5.9 yards-per-carry average.

For the Hoyas to have a chance on Saturday, they are going to have to contain White and force Lafayette to throw the ball.