LaRouche PAC Crosses Healy Gates

In violation of university regulations, supporters of the left-wing political figure Lyndon LaRouche entered campus on Wednesday and distributed pamphlets advertising their cause.

Although volunteers normally set up a table across the street from Healy Gates to hand out information to passersby, students found copies of LaRouche’s most recent position pamphlet in ICC and White Gravenor classrooms in the morning.

“LaRouche pamphlets were strewn across the floor – obviously, students had pushed them off their desks instead of placing them in a trash can,” Zach Ralston (COL ’09) said about his English class in ICC.

Daniel Rendleman (COL ’09) said that he found LaRouche pamphlets on desks in his linear algebra class in White Gravenor.

Georgetown’s Speech and Expression Policy states that only members of the Georgetown University academic community may distribute handbills or pamphlets on campus. Additionally, no handbills or pamphlets may be distributed in classrooms.

University spokesman Erik Smulson said that the university “is pretty clear on this issue.”

Department of Public Safety Director Darryl Harrison said the department has not received any recent complaints concerning on-campus encounters with members of the LaRouche Political Action Committee, although there have been calls reporting the PAC on campus in the past.

“I can’t recall any circumstance involving them that has led to any incidents,” Harrison said. “Our response to unauthorized solicitation is consistent – the solicitors are escorted off campus.”

Martha Swanson, director of Student Programs, said that although she was not aware of Wednesday’s on-campus brochure distribution, she recalled LaRouche followers stationing themselves on Red Square in recent years.

“Even though Georgetown is an open campus, people are not allowed to come in and hand things out without a sponsor, and definitely not people running for office,” Swanson said.

The pamphlet states that the current Bush administration is making an effort to prevent college-age citizens from voting in the upcoming November elections, comparing Republican administrators’ actions to Joseph Goebbel’s brainwashing of the Nazi party during World War II.

A member of the Worldwide LaRouche Youth Movement declined to comment on the pamphlet distribution.

According to the GU College Democrats President Liz Fossett (COL ’08), LaRouche’s campaign is not connected to the club. “We have typically no contact with those people, but they are very excited about something,” Fossett said.