Look to Hawks for Rebuilding Model

After their almost miracle against the Boston Celtics in last year’s playoffs, the perpetually terrible Atlanta Hawks raised quite a few eyebrows. Without signing a single big-name free agent or trading half the franchise for a superstar, this season’s six game winning streak to start things off, and a boost in ticket sales that moved the franchise from 20th to ninth in the league in attendance, may have teams across the NBA questioning the “win now” strategy that has dominated most front offices for so long.

A “win now” strategy bases player personnel decisions – like what free agents to sign or who to trade – on creating the best possible team in each given year in order to win a championship. Trivial concerns like exceeding the salary cap, developing young talent or being left with old players for long periods of time are largely ignored in the interest of maximizing the on-court product.

While this strategy sounds like it should produce the best possible team year in and year out, it often means teams are stuck with aging veterans and a shortage of draft picks to build for the future.

The Isaiah-era New York Knicks were perhaps the best example of a bad, “win now” team. They took on big contracts for aging players like Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, Jamaal Crawford, Malik Rose and Penny Hardaway. Meanwhile, the team traded away countless draft picks and much of its young talent. The result was three miserable seasons of only 23, 33 and again 23 wins. The pressure to win now ruined the Knicks, and even under new management, it may be years before they have the cap space to build a true contender.

Of course, not all “win now” teams are bad ones. The 1996 Rockets, who traded for Charles Barkley, and the Lakers’ 2003 team with Karl Malone and Gary Payton were examples of “win now” moves by good teams that didn’t work out, but the Boston Celtics sent promising young big man Al Jefferson to the Timberwolves to get Kevin Garnett in what may go down as one of the most famous trades of all time.

The problem is that so many of today’s teams are in “win now” mode when, realistically, there are probably only six teams in a given year that have a legitimate chance to win the championship.

The Hawks haven’t been a contender to win it all since their last season over .500 in 1999 – they even snuck into the playoffs with eight fewer wins than losses last season – but since a new ownership group arrived in 2004, they have been the most consistent Team in the NBA when it comes to rebuilding themselves.

Building through the draft, instead of costly free agency, the team added current contributors Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Al Horford and Acie Law. Mostly notably, Smith has grown into a budding superstar, and perhaps the league’s best shot blocker. After a 13-win season in 2004, there was a power struggle within the new ownership that resulted in a trade with the Suns, sending Boris Diaw and two future draft picks out of town for veteran Joe Johnson. After such a woeful season, they needed something to sell tickets, and while the trade was certainly guilty of a “win now” attitude, Johnson has been excellent in Atlanta.

In 2007, the team again showed its faith in youth by sending then-eight-year vet Al Harrington to the Pacers in exchange for the first-round pick that allowed them to draft Law. Last season’s trade for Mike Bibby did violate some rebuilding precepts, but it is significant that such a move was only done after it seemed possible that the team could make the playoffs. Every great team needs a few wily veterans, and with their core of talent firmly established, the Hawks could afford to take a chance on Bibby.

At the moment, an ankle injury to Josh Smith has the Hawks on a bit of a skid, but don’t be surprised if the East’s rising star plays host in the first round of this season’s playoffs.

The question is how much of an impact the Hawk’s example will have in the NBA. Will young, and currently pretty bad, teams like the Thunder, Bobcats, Timberwolves and Grizzlies stay the course and hope that a few years and a few lucky draft picks bring their own youth movements to fruition, or will they go down the all too familiar path of “win now” and trade away the future for a shot at today?

Only time will tell, but I would bet that as long as the Hawks keep winning, NBA decision makers, and maybe even fans, will be more willing to wait around on youth. Though I hear Stephon Marbury may be a free agent soon. Five-year deal anyone?

Jamie Leader is a senior in the College and can be reached at leaderthehoya.com. He hosts the sports radio show “Tournament Edition” on Georgetown Radio every Monday from noon to 2 p.m. FOLLOW THE LEADER appears in every other Friday issue of HOYA SPORTS.