Man Wields Knife, Flees GU Hospital

A man angry at doctors for refusing to prescribe him medication threatened employees and wielded a knife at Georgetown University Hospital last week before fleeing the scene, law enforcement sources said.

According to a Metropolitan Police Department incident report, the man, who was previously a patient at the hospital and had been prescribed medication, entered the hospital at about 12 p.m. on April 8 demanding additional medication “because he would be leaving town for a period of time.”

A nurse forwarded the request to a doctor, who denied it. Police said that the man was then asked to leave the hospital because of his actions, but he refused.

He then became irate and started yelling obscenities at staff members, the report said.

According to police, he began pacing back and forth, entered a patient waiting area, pulled out a knife and waved it around before saying, “I’m going to come back to get you all” and fleeing the scene.

The report said that he later called a hospital administrative assistant and demanded to know why he had not received medication. He then became “belligerent” and hung up the phone.

The man had previously threatened to kill a doctor at the hospital, according to police.

Hospital officials called MPD and filed a report April 11.

Neither hospital officials nor university officials could be reached for comment.