Memorial Service Honors McFlynn

Mitch Fox/The Hoya Friends and family share memories and prayers for Sara McFlynn (COL ’04) at a service in Dahlgren Chapel on Saturday. cFlynn, 20, died Aug. 8 in Colorado. Full story on page 8.

Students, family and friends of Sara McFlynn (COL ’04) gathered on Saturday morning in Dahlgren Chapel for a Mass of Remembrance honoring the rising junior, who died Aug. 8 in Colorado of an abdominal infection complicated by her diabetes. McFlynn was 20 years old.

Interim University Chaplain Scott Pilarz, S.J., and the Office of Campus Ministry organized the service in conjunction with Sara’s family. “Sara lives on in the spirit of her close friends, and all who have come here today to celebrate her life – a life so obviously filled with love,” Pilarz said in the homily.

“We celebrate today her life, because she would not have it any other way. She would want to dance all night on this day,” Sara’s father, Tim McFlynn, said to the crowd of more than 100 who filled the chapel. “Each of us has come here because of a connection to her spirit – because of a friendship or kinship that was strong enough that will never leave us.”

Although a memorial service was already held at the cFlynn’s ranch in Snowmass, Colo., on Aug. 16, McFlynn said he thought the Dahlgren service was important because it allowed the Georgetown community to “deal with this issue for the first time.”

Several student speakers shared personal stories and reflected on their friendships with McFlynn. “None of us will ever forget that bright smile, those rosy cheeks and the contagious laughter,” Charlie Andrews (COL ’04) said.

Friend Brian Lafferty (COL ’04) said he admired Sara’s easygoing attitude and sense of humor. He recalled a time when Sara was robbed while studying at Oxford University. “I knew everything was all right because she picked up the phone and talked to the police in a British accent. There she was, joking around with the police right after she was robbed,” he said. Lafferty added, “It’s hard to say goodbye to the first girl I knew here, but she taught me to face life and I thank her for that.”

Other friends spoke of her contagious laughter and vivid imagination. They shared anecdotes and stories of Sara’s idiosyncrasies – how she would insist on filling her water bottle with water from Reiss instead of from Harbin or how she scheduled an hour into her day’s schedule just so she could pick up her developed photos as soon as possible. “Sara let so many people here open up a side of themselves that they never could. That will make Sara so missed,” Andrews said.

Those in attendance received bookmarks displaying pictures of a sunflower and a butterfly as mementos. Tim McFlynn spoke of his daughter’s fondness for nature and outdoor activity, including whitewater rafting and horseback riding.

In addition to the prayers offered for condolences, the general intercessions included a call for a cure for diabetes.

Sara is survived by her father, Tim, her mother, Donna and four older siblings Jane, Tim, Travis and Abigael.