Memorial Service Planned for Professor

ON CAMPUS IN BRIEF Memorial Service Planned for Professor By Amanda McGrath Hoya Staff Writer

A memorial service for former Georgetown University Medical Center Assistant Professor Dr. Sandra Welner will be held on Dec. 12 from 3 to 4:30 p.m. at the Adas Israel Synagogue.

Welner died Oct. 20 from third degree burns, the result of a fire in her apartment that began on Oct. 8 in Silver Springs, Md., while Welner was lighting a candle. She was 43 years old.

The memorial service is intended to honor Welner’s memory and to remember her life’s work and achievements.

An assistant professor of obstetrics and gynecology, Welner was disabled as a result of neurological damage from a cardiac irregularity. She was active in the development for better medical care for the disabled. Among many other accomplishments, she helped to start primary care programs for women with disabilities at area hospitals and was a consultant to various state public health departments.

Welner was a graduate of Lehigh University and the Medical College of Pennsylvania. She was known as an active member in Jewish community organizations.

Welner was also involved with the Society for Women’s Health Research and received its Annual Award for Outstanding Clinical Service in 1994. The Society has established a memorial fund in Dr. Welner’s honor. Information for donations can be found by contacting the Society at (202) 496-5008.

The community-wide service will be held at the Adas Israel Synagogue at 2850 Quebec St.