MEN’S GOLF Hoyas Struggle at Grizzly

The Georgetown Men’s golf team had a tough outing at the Xavier Provident Invitational Oct. 8 and 9. The team’s hot start and early season success came to a halt when the Hoyas finished 17th among a 19-team field. With a score of 854, Western Kentucky edged out Xavier to take home the tournament. The Hoyas finished 38 strokes behind this mark, with a total of 892.

The Xavier Provident Invitational was played at the Grizzly, a beautiful course at the Kings Island Resort in Mason, Ohio. This fierce golf course was designed in 1971 and Jack Nicklaus has hosted professional tournaments on the PGA, LPGA and Senior PGA Tour each of the last 25 years. This par-71 course proved a tough obstacle for all teams involved. The tournament consisted of three rounds of competitive golf and 6,808 yards worth of action.

In the wake of the disappointing finish by the Hoyas, the weekend was highlighted by the personal success of sophomore Nick Cook. Cook has been shooting very well this season, and his success was highlighted by his one over par- 214. This low score was good enough to earn him seventh place overall and aided by a second round score of 67.

Trailing behind Cook was senior Cody Courbier, who tallied a total of 218, earning 24th place overall finish. Freshman Bob ollina carded a score of 230, his best finish since joining the team. Senior Tristan Lewis and freshman Matt Hoesley ended the tournament with scores of 233 and 238, respectively.

The Hoyas will soon find out if this disappointing finish in Ohio will disrupt their early season achievement. The next test for Georgetown will be at the Tilinghast-St. John’s Invite at the Quaker Ridge Golf Club in Scarsdale, N.Y., Oct. 22-23.