Mission Remains Despite Staff Changes

Last weekend, the staff of The Hoya held its semi-annual elections. This week, a few old hands and a number of new faces will continue our organization’s tradition of serving the Georgetown community with news, analysis and commentary. In the weeks before exams conclude and our academic community takes its summer recess, we hope to set the tone for the semester that lies ahead.

It’s no secret that this month has been a turbulent, stressful time for The Hoya. In the wake of our April Fools’ joke issue – a yearly tradition that, this year, offended many and sparked widespread protest – we have sought to take concrete action to improve the diversity and sensitivity of our staff and to rehabilitate (and even strengthen) our relationship with readers.

With this renegotiation of our place in the community and the turnover of our staff, the immediate future of The Hoya will be marked by significant change. I write to make one promise: Our commitment to journalism and service will not waver.

In the future, we will rely on communication with the community more than ever. Please remember that our door is always open, and we remain committed to listening to concerns and discussing the challenges that lie ahead. Only in this way can The Hoya continue to provide the invaluable service it has provided for generations.

Kevin Barber (COL ’11)

Editor in Chief

To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact opinionthehoya.com. Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.