Monday Clippings

After Obama’s Win, D.C. Looks Toward Representation

As President-elect Barack Obama prepares to move into 1600 Pennsylvania Ave., there is renewed hope for the D.C. Vote campaign. During his campaign, Obama pledged to support the District’s quest for Congressional representation, according to The Washington Post. With the increase of Democrats in the Senate, as well as the new Democratic president, D.C. could finally get a full vote in Congress, the article said.

University Prepares New Campus Plan

Planning for the university’s next campus plan, which will go into effect after the current plan expires on Dec. 31, 2010, has gotten underway. At a meeting on Wednesday, Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson said the university is considering a number of different options for expansion, including constructing a facility on the 3600 block between Prospect and N Streets, as well as an enlargement of McDonough Gymnasium. The university held a meeting with area residents on Saturday to begin to address residential concerns about possible space expansion, and has begun discussions with city officials.

adeleine Albright to Discuss New Book

adeleine Albright, former President Bill Clinton’s (SFS ’68) secretary of state and current Georgetown professor, will be discussing her book, “Memo to the President,” on Monday in Gaston Hall. The book draws on the lessons she learned while in office and focuses on the challenges facing the new administration.

Retreat Center Faces Review

Campus Ministry is one step closer to the actuality of the Calcagnini Contemplative Center, a retreat center in the Blue Ridge Mountains. The county planning commission reviewed plans for the center this past Friday and has scheduled a public hearing for Dec. 5, according to The Winchester Star. Construction has been delayed since the initial purchase of the 56 acres in 2005, due to the lack of several permits and the ongoing work on the site plan.