MPD To Employ ‘Party Patrol’

In a further crackdown on noise violations, the Metropolitan Police Department plans to increase foot patrols in West Georgetown, Burleith and the Georgetown Waterfront starting next weekend, a move that could boost arrests of perpetrators.

MPD Second District Commander Andrew Solberg said that the new patrol – Solberg referred to it repeatedly as a “party patrol” – will consist of one set of two officers patrolling each of the three areas. Solberg said these officers are set to focus specifically on noise violations and breaking up parties that are out of control.

Solberg said while patrolling the neighborhoods on foot, the officers will break up parties or gatherings that they can hear from the sidewalk. They may also arrest people out on the street who are being too noisy.

“I think when people see a lot of cops in their community, criminals are deterred,” Solberg said. “Foot-beat officers get noticed more than officers in cars.”

The announcement of the new patrols comes only weeks after Solberg said that local police would begin more readily arresting party hosts for noise violations.

Solberg stressed that excessive noise is against the law.

“Residents need to respect the community. If they can’t, they’re going to spend the night with us,” he said.

In addition to the “party patrol,” the Second District, which includes Georgetown, will be redistributing some of patrols that work at night to daytime shifts. The Second District currently has 30 to 40 officers who patrol on foot, with most working the “power shift” from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. Although the number of foot patrols will not increase in the Second District, the number of patrols working each shift will be evened out to increase patrolling at other times during the day.

“We’ve got no sympathy for disturbing the peace,” Solberg said. “If you’re disrupting the peace in the community, you’re in violation.”

The move is part of a D.C.-wide initiative increase of foot patrols, called for by D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty. Cathy Lanier, etropolitan Police Department chief, requested that each district have at least 16 officers walking per route after four people were shot and killed this weekend in the city.

Dena Iverson, a spokesperson for Fenty, said the increases are a part of a plan that Fenty began in January. The mayor wanted the increased presence of officers on foot in order to increase officers’ visibility in the region, Iverson said. MPD will be hiring an additional 100-200 officers, most of them being assigned to foot patrols focused on government housing developments not in the Second District.

Solberg said that he hopes to assign officers to the new patrols who want to interact with the community.

“We are going to put out a request for officers so they volunteer for the position,” he said, “We hope to get the perfect marriage. . [People] have got to keep their voices down.”

MPD Assistant Police Chief Diane Groomes said the department’s goal is for officers to be community figures.

“We have to build relationships in the community,” she said. “We want to deter any crime. . [The new foot patrols] will definitely work.”

Burleith resident Sarah Delaney (SFS ’08) said that there are better ways for MPD to use is resources.

“I personally don’t think Burleith is that noisy,” Delaney said. “I’m just worried it will lead to increased arrests.”

Delaney said she understands it is not pleasant for non-student residents who may want to go to bed to have a party next to their house. However, she said, they should also consider they are next to a university.

Sam Hornak (COL ’08) also said the new patrols are is a misuse of police resources.

“I think it is trouble when you actually go looking for trouble,” he said. “I’m not against breaking up parties if they are out of control. What matters is the definition of `out of control,'” he said.

Hornak said the police and university have shown student residents that they are not making empty threats with regards to enforcement of university rules and laws.