Multiple Delays Hit Darnall Eatery

Despite repeated claims by university officials that a new restaurant would open soon in Darnall Hall, construction remains far from complete and the project has fallen months behind schedule. While Epicurean and Co. restaurant owner C.W. Chon had originally predicted that the restaurant could be open by October 2006, the $2 million renovation of Darnall Hall’s cafeteria into an upscale sit-down and take-out restaurant did not begin until April 2007. Construction was postponed while Chon and the university disputed the restaurant’s layout and hours of operation. Officials said in August 2007 that the revamping would be completed during the fall semester. And university spokesperson Julie Bataille said again in early October that the university planned to have the restaurant open before the end of the calendar year. University spokesperson Andrea Fereshteh now said that construction and permit issues have prevented the university from meeting its target opening date last semester. “A final opening date is [now] pending completion of construction and permits,” she said. “[The restaurant] is scheduled to open later this semester.” The space has been vacant since spring 2005, when the university considered other restaurants and fast-food vendors, including T.G.I. Friday’s, Wendy’s and Panda Express. In Apr. 2006, Georgetown signed a memorandum of agreement with Chon to lease the space, but over 21 months later, all the space has to show are the very beginnings of a construction site. The local Advisory Neighborhood Commission lodged a protest in October against Epicurean’s liquor license application, but Bataille said at the time that the university did not expect this to significantly delay the restaurant’s opening. She also said in October that plans for the layout of the restaurant have not changed since the original design from last August. “The restaurant will be a combination sit-down facility, cafeteria and cocktail lounge and will include a full service bar,” she said. “Food will be able to be purchased using Flex Meal Dollars [and] Debit Dollars.” But the ongoing construction has become a burden to some residents in Darnall. Allison Wagner (SFS ’11) said that the daytime work in the space has had adverse effects on her ability to work. “I hear the drilling all the time. I have an hour or two between classes, and it’s useless to go to the library, so I come back to my room and it’s almost impossible to get work done,” she said. Tommy Isaacs (MSB ’11) agreed. “The construction wakes me up from my naps. And it’s taking forever to build,” he said. Students have continued to express interest in this restaurant as a dining alterative to O’Donovan Dining Hall. Erika Amundson (MSB ’11), who lives in Darnall, said Epicurean’s location makes it an attractive option for her. “I would go to the restaurant because it’s more convenient than Leo’s,” she said. Kyla Cook (MSB ’11), another Darnall resident, said she feels its close proximity is important during the colder months and is looking forward to its speedy completion. “If it’s cold enough outside, I’ll just go downstairs and eat there,” she said. Chon and Margie Bryant, associate vice president for auxiliary services, could not be reached for comment. – HOYA Staff Writer Courteney Lario contributed to this report.