NCAA in the Year of the Breakout Back

In much of this year’s preseason college football coverage, the media focus has been on this season’s talented class of quarterbacks. In a year where the Big 12’s six-best rated quarterback by ESPN was one of three quarterbacks to throw for 2,800 yards and rush for 800 in 2008 (Oklahoma State’s Zac Robinson), there is clearly a lot of talent under center.

It also doesn’t hurt that many of the star QBs from last season are back for another tour of duty. Tebow, Bradford, Daniel and Stafford are all household names, and with the likes of running backs McFadden, Stewart and Jones departing for the pro ranks, we may be a little short on stars at tailback.

However, all of this is about to change. Beyond the obvious headliners – Georgia’s Knowshawn Moreno and Ohio State’s Beanie Wells, there are several tailbacks poised for breakout seasons in 2008. You may not know these guys now, but in a season or two, you’ll be wondering what they would look like in your pro team’s uni.

DeMarco Murray – Oklahoma Sooners

After redshirting his first season, Murray burst onto the scene with a 201-yard, five-touchdown game against North Texas last season. This flash of potential was backed up throughout his freshman season with six yards per carry and 13 touchdowns in 11 games before he fractured his kneecap against Texas Tech. Though Murray can boast a team-best 4.43-second 40-yard dash time, the high school prep star spent his redshirt season bulking up, and his strength should serve him well between the tackles.

Speaking of running between the tackles, perhaps Murray’s best asset is his exceptional offensive line. Left guard Duke Robinson, a preseason all-American, anchors a line made up entirely of seniors. Murray would have a hard time finding a better left side to run through in all of college football. Quarterback Sam Bradford may be the leader of the offense, but Murray, who can boast the second longest run in Oklahoma history at 97 yards, has the big-play ability and right offense to spend plenty of time in the end zone this season.

ike Goodson – Texas A&M

There is a lot riding on Goodson down in College Station. In one of first-year Coach Mike Sherman’s first moves as head coach, he moved running back Jorvorskie Lane, who had 10 more touchdowns than anyone else on last year’s team, over to fullback so that Goodson could be the featured back in his new offense.

In Goodson’s breakout game against Oklahoma in 2006, when he ran for 127 yards on just 10 carries, Aggie fans drooled over their new freshman’s speed, agility and field awareness. Since then, Goodson’s stats have suffered from inconsistent playing time and timid play-calling by former coach Dennis Franchione.

He may have a hard time racking up touchdowns with Lane at fullback, but with at least one run of 20 yards or more in seven games last season, Goodson always seems one broken tackle away from a game-changing run.

Noel Devine – West Virginia

Playing behind Steve Slaton clearly isn’t the best way to get noticed, but with Slaton fighting for a role with the Texans, sophomore Devine has earned the honor of catching pitches from option master Pat White as West Virginia’s featured back in 2008.

Devine is fast. Really, really fast. His reported 4.3-second 40-yard dash speed made him a YouTube sensation in high school with almost four million hits (just type his name to see for yourself), and Mountaineers running back Coach Chris Beatty stated his goal for Devine this season was to “just let him run fast.”

With all the attention White will draw from linebackers, Devine will rack up yardage in the wide-open West Virginia offense. Devine considered transferring after Rich Rodriguez bolted for Michigan, but Slaton’s decision to enter the draft early gives Devine the starting role in perhaps the best offense in the nation for his skill set. With West Virginia’s sponge-cake-soft schedule through most of the season, Devine may challenge the incumbent top rushers for the nation’s lead in total yards and touchdowns.

oreno and Wells will likely be the only running backs in New York at season’s end for the Heisman ceremony, but expect these guys to be at the top of the list when reporters write about the standout group of running backs in 2009.

Jamie Leader is a senior in the College. He can be reached at leaderthehoya.com. FOLLOW THE LEADER appears in every other Friday issue of HOYA SPORTS.