Neighbors Protest Darnall Restaurant Liquor Application

The local Advisory Neighborhood Commission approved a motion this week protesting the application for a liquor license for the restaurant set to open in Darnall Hall, saying that the entrepreneur’s proposal to serve alcohol would be harmful to the local community.

ANC Vice Chairman Bill Starrels urged other administrators during Tuesday’s meeting to “protest the application on the grounds of peace, order and quiet” after commissioners voiced concerns that the distribution of alcohol at the restaurant may lead to rowdiness in the local community.

ANC Chairman Ed Solomon said C.W. Chon, the owner of Epicurean and Co., and Andrew Kline, Chon’s lawyer, are likely to appear before the ANC next month to negotiate the terms of a voluntary agreement under which the restaurant-license application will be approved. Voluntary agreements for restaurants typically stipulate hours of operation, hours of liquor sales and special measures proprietors must take to preserve order in the community.

University spokesperson Julie Bataille said in an e-mail that the university does not expect the recent developments to significantly set back the restaurant’s opening.

“We don’t have a firm date for the opening of the restaurant but hope for it to be sometime later this semester,” she said.

Bataille said she does not anticipate any alcohol-related problems with the restaurant.

“We will handle appropriate and lawful use of alcohol in this establishment just as we do in other venues on campus where alcohol may be served, such as Hoya’s,” she said.

The move is the latest in a series of setbacks for the proposed establishment. Construction was postponed last fall after Chon and the university failed to finalize a lease for the restaurant and negotiate the details of the restaurant’s layout and hours of operation.

Kline said at the meeting that alcohol consumption at the restaurant will have no effect on the surrounding neighborhood. He said alcohol accounts for less than 10 percent of total sales at the Epicurean and Co. on Connecticut Avenue in Northwest D.C.

Vice President of Auxiliary Services Margie Bryant, who spoke alongside Chon and Kline at the meeting, said that the 1,300-square-foot bar Epicurean and Co. plans to build will be smaller than the bar at Hoya’s in the Leavey Center. Plans state that the bar will occupy less than 10 percent of the restaurant’s total floor space.

According to building plans, the restaurant will have about 15,000 square feet of floor space and a seating capacity of 290.

ANC commissioners also expressed concerns that noise from the restaurant may disturb patients and staff at the university hospital, which is separated from Darnall Hall by only an outdoor parking lot.

Commissioners also said that the restaurant may increase traffic and parking in the Burleith community. Kline told the commission that parking for the restaurant will be valet-only and that all cars will be parked in a university parking lot.

Kline added that Chon does not intend to attract patrons from off campus, and the restaurant will not advertise outside of the university.

The space on Darnall’s ground floor, which formerly housed a university dining hall, has been vacant for over two years.