New South Conceptual Plans Move Forward

Georgetown administrators held a forum on the provisional plans for the future renovation of the New South student space on Tuesday.

After over two years of surveying student interest, Dennis Williams, interim associate dean of students, said that the university is preparing to finalize conceptual plans for the space.

“It’s finally becoming a reality,” Williams said. “We’ve constructed a whole new vision.”

New South will relocate its main entrance this fall to the loading dock on the north side of the building.

“Essentially, we are aiming to maximize the natural space of the building, while creating as much versatility as possible,” Williams said.

Sundry possibilities for the student center include a restaurant, study lounge, multi-purpose room, dance studio and Internet cafe.

“The concept is to create a facility with personality that will draw the entire student body,” Williams added. The multi-purpose room has been designed complete with a removable stage with the suggestion that it would serve as an ideal locale for performing arts.

“The hope is that everything will serve board needs that will encourage campus solidarity and participation,” Martha Swanson, director of student organizations, said.

The study lounge has been designed as a free-flowing space around the relocated offices for GUTV and WGTB. Venue kiosks have also been interspersed throughout the lounge as possible retail locations.

“New South’s proximity to the river also lends itself nicely to an outdoor venue,” Swanson said. Current plans for the lounge include an open terrace with additional cafe space overlooking the Potomac River.

“It’s a convertible, programmable space that lends itself beautifully to a variety of campus uses,” she said. The building would also accommodate for a variety of comprehensive student services, including a resource center, copying facilities and computerized classrooms.

Still, the plans were not without criticism.

Chief among student concerns was what would become of the Leavey Center, home to several student organizations.

Several students were quick to point out too that New South has traditionally been an underclassmen hangout. “We really want to reconvert New South by creating a space for which there can be joint ownership among all classes.” Williams said.

Responding to student interest, outgoing GUSA President Brian orgenstern (COL ’05) and Vice President Steve de Man (COL ’04) had proposed the inclusion of a student pub in their election campaign last year.

Swanson said that procuring a liquor license for the restaurant would help the project gain appeal among seniors.

“Imagine if you will, a student-friendly Hoya’s,” Swanson said, alluding to the bar and grill in Leavey’s South Gallery.

Additional criticisms arose from design logistics.

“At present, the restaurant is directly opposite the TV and radio stations,” Williams said, “which we realize could cause noise concerns. There can certainly be ambient noise without posing a problem of being mutually disruptive.”

Though Williams and Swanson were unable to cite an estimated cost, they stressed that the plan was still very much in an embryonic stage. They further explained that it was important to obtain enough of a campus consensus regarding the use of the space before soliciting donors. “Only when the design is a finished project will we be on the hunt for the funds,” Swanson said. “We’re certainly not going to attempt to raise the money first, building what we can within our constraints. Everyone’s hopes would be compromised.”