New South Ready for Interim Use

Margot Lynn/The Hoya The old New South dining hall can now be used as practice space for Georgetown’s dance groups.

After a semester of construction, the former New South dining hall is ready to be used by students once again. The student space was available for interim use as of this Monday and a formal reopening event will take place next Tuesday from 8-10 p.m.

For interim use, the space includes two new dance studios equipped with wooden and marly floors and a surround sound music system in addition to a large meeting space, a new lounge space by the entrance and new restrooms.

The old entrance to the cafeteria will be blocked to insulate New South residents from students who use the new space. The area is now accessible from the new entrance on the south side of New South by Village A.

Campus dance groups are extremely excited about the new dance studios, which may become permanent features of the New South space.

“I’m overjoyed we now have the freedom, room and space to maximize our artistic expression,” Sarah Brill (NHS ’05), a member of the Georgetown University Dance Company, said.

There has long been a shortage of adequate, on-campus space available to Georgetown dance groups, and the new studios were built primarily for their use.

“We heard loudly and clearly when planning the use of New South from the students involved in dance programs,” Todd Olson, interim vice president for student affairs, said.

Black Movements Dance Theatre is also looking forward to moving into the new space.

“I’m definitely excited . It really couldn’t have come at a better time because our show comes up in four weeks,” Jamillah DeLoatch (COL ’04), BMDT co-director, said. “This will give us a chance to practice virtually whenever we want to.”

The large meeting space, positioned in the area of the old dining hall, will include some of the same tables and chairs and will serve as a place where people can hold informal meeting, rehearsals and social events. Olson called the student space “Bulldog Alley with a better view.”

“And that’s sort of my way of saying that it has some of the basic furniture the old dining hall had in it, but it’s not a high-end conference space,” Olson said. “It’s more of a basic place for students to meet for informal rehearsals and to have social events or meetings.”

Students will be able to use their GOCards to gain access to the area until 12 a.m. on Sunday through Thursday, and until 1 a.m. on Friday and Saturday.

The formal reopening next Tuesday is being co-sponsored by the four class committees. In addition to a ribbon-cutting ceremony and refreshments, entertainment will be provided by a cappella groups, such as Grace Notes, as well as Mike Pearsall (MSB ’06).

“We’re bringing together four classes for the start of a new era,” Craig Kessler (SFS ’07), freshman class committee chair, said. “It’s a cool opportunity for everyone to come together in what will once again become a familiar place for students.”

The results of an online contest to name the New South space will be made available before Tuesday’s event, James Shea (COL ’04), site administrator for my.georgetown.edu, said.

Olson said that the university will share the conceptual design for the permanent use of the facility with the campus community at some point in early February. This will allow students a chance to view the plans and comment on them.

The main features of the permanent space currently include dance studios, a multipurpose ballroom meeting space, radio and television studios, an academic resource center, student lounge space and some type of food venue.

Planning for the facility’s permanent and interim uses began in Fall 2002.