New South Reveals Self Segregation

Walk into the New South cafeteria on any given night and you hear the laughter. As you descend the stairs, it gets louder and louder. When you walk in, a quick glance around paints a general picture of the social scene at Georgetown. The African-Americans are sitting together and some Latino students are eating together. Although a subject not often talked about aloud, racial self-segregation is out there for all to see.

Why, it may be asked, do students tend to segregate themselves? Is it a conscious decision, or do people just feel comfortable about those who are like themselves? These questions are not so easily answered.

As a prestigious university, Georgetown attracts the best and the brightest from around the world. Our student body encompasses all 50 states and a plethora of international countries. The idea of the “typical Georgetown student,” therefore, differs with each person you ask. Traditionally believed to be a “rich, white male school,” the face of Georgetown is increasingly changing. There remain, however, those who choose to associate only with others like themselves and who hold onto antiquated ideas of race.

In recent freshman representative elections for the Georgetown University Student Association, six of the 11 candidates were members of traditionally under-represented groups. Racial tension was shown to some of the “minority” candidates when vandals allegedly ripped down their signs and some Caucasian students made insensitive remarks. These remarks made fun of the candidates’ ethnic names and questioned the validity of particular candidates because of their race. Determined not to be intimidated by such tactics, all 11 candidates stayed on the ballot. Behind focused and organized campaigns, the top two vote-getters were Latinos: Mariana Kihuen (COL ’06) and Octavio Gonzalez (COL ’06). The other two winners were Dan onico (COL ’06) and Mike Barrett (COL ’06), who ran on the same ticket. The results have not been made official, however, as questions over alleged racial insensitivity by some candidates are still under investigation. Overall, the GUSA results show a promising future for the entire university community through a more representative student government.

It should be stated that most Georgetown students have a diverse set of friends, whether Anglo or not. But even among the ethnic students, separation exists. Some minority students are accused of “not being black enough” or that they are “acting white.” Those students who tend to stay within their ethnic group may feel they are victims of discrimination. These students may feel left out by their peers, yet some choose to build their own walls. Some Caucasian students likewise choose not to interact with minority students. But what we all, as rational humans, need to accept is that we have different backgrounds. Just because someone does not wear Abercrombie or play lacrosse does not mean they are not a “typical” Georgetown student. And just because someone does act this way does not mean they are “of the mainstream.”

My personal experience may differ from other ethnic students. As a Mexican-American from Sacramento, Calif., I feel blessed to attend as prestigious institution as Georgetown. Having attended a Caucasian-majority high school, I am used to being included in a group that is five to 10 percent of the overall student population. But I feel that my ethnicity has never been a deterrence or a reason for discrimination. Rather, my cultural heritage has added to my contribution in the entire campus community. I am part of both cultures, rejecting neither one, but rather uniting the two.

The answer to why people choose consciously or otherwise to hang out only with those of their ethnicity is not clear. Also unclear is why people hang onto outdated perceptions and stereotypes. At an institution that aims to educate the whole person, why do some not look past the color of your skin?

Victor Calderon is a junior in the College.