New South Talks Include Club Space, Lounge

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Doors to what used to be the New South Dining Hall remain locked until discussions about its use are settled.

From Leavey to Walsh, student groups craving on-campus space hope to find a new home in the New South student center. Although plans for a student center in New South remain in preliminary planning stages, university officials and student leaders hope to have the facility ready for temporary use next semester.

“This is a big project,” Karen Frank, vice president for university facilities and housing, said. “We are estimating preliminarily that it will cost $7.5 million. We’re trying to get it ready for shorter term use.”

A permanent plan for the new space has not yet been selected, and funding for the project has not begun, according to Todd Olson, interim vice president for student affairs. The fundraising plan will not be created until the construction plan is finalized.

“We plan for this project to be financed through fund-raising, but there are no plans more specific than that right now,” Olsen said.

Olsen and GUSA President Brian Morgenstern (COL ’05) have been meeting bi-weekly with the Smith Group architectural firm to discuss plans for the space.

Morgenstern said some ideas for the facility include student lounges, a multi-purpose banquet room or auditorium and student club space including television and radio studios and a larger SAC office.

Plans also include revenue-generating space, Morgenstern said.

Morgenstern said that if these areas exist, and maybe even a place for of-age students to have a drink, the new center has the potential for creating a new dynamic for on-campus social life. “Revenue-generating space may be a pub, a restaurant, a food court, or even something else that hasn’t been discussed yet,” he said. “As of now, I’d say it’s likely to include food service, either from on-campus or outside vendors, and possibly a pub-like atmosphere.”

Morgenstern said that discussions have also included maintaining efficient student traffic flow and the positions of loading docks, elevators and lobbies.

GUTV has been actively pursuing space in the new Student Center. The station hopes for between 3,000 and 5,000 feet of space, which would be used for a new studio, editing suites and offices.

Julie Grauert (COL ’05), GUTV vice president of development, and Joe Sallette (COL ’04), GUTV general manager, have had several meetings with Olson about their new space in New South. In order to equip their studio, they will need to raise between $200,000-300,000 but cannot begin fund-raising before their space is approved.

“Getting space for a television studio in New South would allow us to keep our studio equipment and editing equipment in the same area, saving time and allowing for better quality shows with a consistent set and location,” Ross Grimes (MSB ’04), GUTV station manager, said. “[It] would allow students the opportunity to make better programming, as well as the rest of the campus community the opportunity to enjoy that programming.”

As far as WGTB is concerned, General Manager John Huyette (COL ’05), says that although he heard they were being considered in the plans, they have not been approached about it, nor have they actively pursued space in the area.

“The only way WGTB would move from its current location is if the station were built a

larger, better-equipped studio,” he said.

The dining area will be made available for temporary student rehearsal space and meeting centers, beginning in the spring.

The space will include two rehearsal areas, one equipped with a marly floor specific for classical and modern dance, and one with a hardwood floor.

The Program in Performing Arts is still unsure which campus groups will be able to use the space to rehearse because rehearsal schedules often overlap.

Although Ron Lignelli, managing director for the Program in Performing Arts, hopes that all campus groups will be able to use the area, he said that first priority would be given to Program in Performing Arts groups. These include the GU Dance Company, Black ovements Dance Theatre, Ballet Folklorico Mexicano de Georgetown and Ritmo y Sabor, which currently practice in facilities in Yates and Walsh as well as at Hoya Court in the Leavey Center.

“Although I’m happy that we’ll probably get to use the space in the spring, I wish we could remain in that space permanently because our current rehearsal space is pretty tiny,” Celeste Tinari (SFS ’07), Black Movements Dance Theatre member, said.

Other groups that may gain access to the space, depending on scheduling availabilities, are Groove Theory, Step Team and the Ballroom Dance Team.

Although Olson said there have been discussions on permanent rehearsal spaces in the area, these groups will still have to find additional spaces to rehearse once the formal renovations begin.

Morgenstern remains optimistic about the center and said he is pleased that discussions are leading to a student-friendly use of space. One of his main concerns, though, is that the space becomes an area where students can congregate, including on late weekend nights.

“The new center could have a terrific unifying and community-building effect, far more than what the Leavey Center has been able to achieve,” he said.

Pub, Club Space Top New South Discussions

September 24, 2002

https://www.thehoya.com/news/092402/news1.cfm

ANC Addresses Safety, Town-Gown Relations

March 26, 2002

https://www.thehoya.com/news/032602/news3.cfm