News in Brief

Law Professor Awarded Outstanding Faculty Prize

Georgetown University Law Center Professor Philip Schrag was recognized for his contributions to the field of public interest law with the 2008 Equal Justice Works Outstanding Law School Faculty Award, last Friday.

“Throughout his career, Phil has been a tireless champion for public service,” said David Stern, chief executive officer for Equal Justice Works, in a press release. “He is a model of the impact that a law school professor can have on students and on public policy.”

According to a press release from the Law Center, some of Schrag’s extensive work includes his influential efforts to pass the student loan forgiveness program for public service employees, which was part of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007.

Schrag described the bill as a “major break” for people who want to attend professional and graduate schools and pursue careers in public service.

Schrag put forth the idea of federal loan forgiveness in a Hofstra Law Review article in 2001, as well as in his 2002 book, “Repay as You Earn,” according to the Law Center press release.

The Equal Justice Works’ Outstanding Law School Faculty or Staff Award recognizes a law school faculty or staff member who has done outstanding work for future generations of public interest attorneys, according to the Equal Justice Works Web site.

Also according to the Web site, the organization strives to promote a just society by collaborating with the nation’s top law schools, law firms, corporate legal departments and nonprofit organizations to provide training to the future lawyers of America.

– Sarah Crum

GU Professor Elected to the Institute of Medicine

Georgetown professor Lucile Adams-Campbell was elected to the Institute of Medicine on Monday, one of the highest honors in the field.

“Election [to the IOM] signifies that all the newly elected members are considered by their peers to be exemplary contributors to the fields of health and medicine,” Christine Stencel, media relations officer of the IOM, said.

In addition to being an honorific organization, the IOM serves an advisery role in matters of health and science policy. The organization offers policy information to legislators, professionals, leaders and the public.

Adams-Campbell, an internationally recognized health disparities expert, joined Georgetown University Medical Center’s Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center this year and now serves as the associate director for minority health and health disparities research as well as professor of oncology.

Her work involves addressing cancer disparities in underprivileged communities in the Washington metropolitan area, particularly by increasing the number of minorities and underserved groups in clinical prevention trials and studies dealing with energy balance such as diet and exercise among cancer survivors and those at increased risk.

“I firmly believe that although all sectors of the community cannot come to GU, GU can reach out to all sectors of the community,” Adams-Campbell said.

Adams-Campbell hopes that her membership in the IOM will have a positive impact on the Lombardi Center and the entire field of cancer disparities by raising the visibility of the issue. Her election to the IOM indicates experts in medicine and public health recognize the importance of cancer disparities, she said.

“To be recognized by such an esteemed group of scientists . has exceeded my career goals and expectations,” Adams-Campbell said.

– Katrina Braun

GUSA Votes to Create Six New Student Commissions

GUSA voted last night to create six new student commissions this year and reauthorize the current Student Commission for Unity for another year.

According to GUSA Senate Speaker Reggie Greer (COL ’09), the six new groups focus mainly on current student concerns, and are not intended to be long-term projects.

The first new group is the Student Commission for the Code of Conduct Concerns, part of the senate’s ongoing effort to clarify aspects of the document.

The second group is the Student Commission on Registration Concerns, which will seek to increase add/drop periods and ensure that course syllabi are posted during pre-registration.

The third group is the Student Commission for Technology Concerns, which will address problems with outdated technology, namely wireless Internet access on campus.

The fourth group, the Student Commission on Georgetown Identity, plays a slightly different role. According to Greer, the group seeks an increased awareness of university history and identity on campus, although he said it is still uncertain exactly what achieving this will entail.

“A few senators wished Georgetown had a stronger core,” he said. “Not necessarily school pride or school spirit, but identity.”

The fifth group is the Student Commission on Dining Concerns.

embers of this commission will evaluate student concerns related to Flex Dollars, Grab `n’ Go, meal plans and guest passes.

The final group will be the Student Commission on Security and Safety concerns.

“That’s basically just developing a better relationship with [the Department of Public Safety] to see what we can do to help on our end,” Greer said, adding that the commission will also address reforming and improving the SafeRides system.

Greer said that the commissions will continue their work until the end of this academic year. “Obviously though, some issues are perennial,” he said.

-Connie Parham