News in Brief

Scotland’s First Minister Fights for Independence, Economic Freedom and Cooperative Relationship With United States

First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond gave a lecture in Riggs library yesterday focusing on Scotland’s response to the global economic crisis and his aspirations for Scottish independence.

Salmond, a member of the Scottish National Party and the first nationalist appointed to the position of first minister in 2007, proponed the nationalist movement’s secession from the United Kingdom and its efforts to re-establish an independent Scotland. He cited the current economic environment as support for his position.

“In the unprecedented severity of the present moment, it is important to have powers of independence,” he said. “It is reasonable that Scotland would reassess its constitutional position and re-evaluate its relationship with England and the United Kingdom.”

Salmond said that an independent Scotland would send a powerful image to the world. “A tremendous, effective state of peaceful change, and that constitutionalism and the power of the ballot can work – that’s the most important message,” he said.

Salmond related the case for Scottish independence to the current economic crisis, asserting that Scotland could reach unprecedented levels of success.

“Few [countries] have the industrial qualifications and scientific advancements of Scotland. We would be one of the luckiest countries to come to independence,” Salmond said. “Of course, success depends on the wisdom of the policies pursued. I would have confidence in Scottish prospects, and would be happy that if we made mistakes they would be our mistakes, mistakes that we could rectify.”

Salmond expressed a desire to work with the Obama administration in improving the world economy.

“We need to lay the foundation for a new, fair economy. Scotland is a partner ready to help America build a better economy and a better world,” he said. “I believe the new direction in American politics will provide the leadership the world needs.”

The event was sponsored by the Office of the President and the BMW Center for German and European Studies.

– Carolyn Shanahan