News in Brief

Elections Usher In New Leadership for The Hoya

The Board of Editors of THE HOYA elected new leadership on Saturday, voting John Swan (COL ’09) the 132nd editor in chief and choosing two new members of the Board of Directors.

Swan, who served as senior guide editor for the past two semesters and city news editor prior to that, said he would continue THE HOYA’s push for independence from the university.

“Obviously independence is at the forefront of everyone’s mind, and I think the most important thing this semester is putting the newspaper in the best position to succeed, both financially and editorially. That’s how we can best serve the Georgetown University community,” he said. “So whether that means stronger content or a wider variety of coverage, we’re always looking for what’s best for our readers.”

Swan said the THE HOYA is still pursuing the Fall 2008 deadline for independence set by the Board of Directors earlier in the semester, and that talks with university officials are scheduled for December. He added that keeping the name is a priority for the staff of THE HOYA, and that plans are underway to raise campus awareness of the issue.

“The name THE HOYA is a Georgetown tradition, and one our staff feels strongly about,” he said. “There is a general consensus that it’s in everyone’s best interest to fight for our name as we move toward independence.”

Another initiative planned for the semester includes a new Web site, tentatively set to launch Dec. 2. Swan hopes the Web site will not only provide more comprehensive coverage but also act as a “one-stop destination for everything that’s happening on and off campus.”

Outgoing Editor in Chief Max Sarinsky (COL ’09) and outgoing Senior Sports Editor Fiore Mastroianni (COL ’09) were both elected to one-year terms on the Board of Directors. Former Senior News Editor Michele Hong (SFS ’10) is the new managing editor.

– Carolyn Arnold

Students Debate Equality of Pakistan-U.S. Relationship

Middle-Eastern politics took center stage in Copley Formal Lounge last night, as students debated the present role of U.S.-Pakistan relations.

The event began with keynote speaker Tahir Andrabi, director of the ministry of foreign affairs of Pakistan and current fellow in the Georgetown University Institute for the Study of Diplomacy. His speech addressed a history of Pakistani-U.S. relations since Pakistan’s independence in 1947.

After Andrabi’s opening address, a formal debate began with Asif Ahsan (SFS ’09), who moderated. Jon Feng (SFS ’09) and Farooq Tirmizi (SFS ’08) argued that the United States’ relationship with Pakistan was one of intermittence and manipulation. John Dougherty (SFS ’09) and Reza Jan (SFS ’09) defended the Pakistani-U.S. relations as beneficial for both countries.

According to Andrabi, the U.S. attitude towards Pakistan has ranged from “enthusiastic in its endorsements to hopelessly abandoning.”

The speakers debated a variety of topics, including education in Pakistan, foreign aid to the country, nuclear proliferation and security, the current U.S. war on terrorism and the role Pakistan would play in coming years.

A sustainable alliance, Feng argued, is one in which “both sides accord each other.” He suggested that the United States does not currently treat Pakistan with such respect.

“[Pakistan] is not an equal. It is not treated as a partner in this relationship,” he said.

Jan disputed this claim, citing trends in U.S. aid to Pakistan he believes represent a historically stable relationship. Tirmizi responded that the United States “only cooperated in instances where cooperation was inevitable.”

The debate was hosted by the Pakistani Students Association and International Relations Club.

– Adam McDonough

Students March in Help the Homeless Walkathon

This Saturday, students from various Georgetown organizations gathered at the Village C steps to take a bus to the National Mall for the 20th annual Help the Homeless Walkathon, joining over 200 official campaign partners that included D.C. residents and businesses.

The walkathon was sponsored by the Fannie Mae Foundation, a charitable organization with goals that include improving housing and reducing homelessness. The Help the Homeless Walkathon was first started in 1988 “to respond to the growing needs of homeless people in the Washington metropolitan area,” according to the event’s website.

Georgetown’s participation was organized by the Hoya Outreach Program and Education. The event drew participants from various clubs and groups on campus including the School of Nursing and Health Studies, the Senior Class Committee, The Corp and the Center for Social Justice.

The students walked as “Friends of Fannie Mae” and paid a $5 registration fee to participate. For every walker, the Fannie Mae Foundation donated $50 to various beneficiary organizations in Washington, D.C., seeking to help the homeless.

“It was a great group of students from all different walks of life at Georgetown,” said Emily Herzberg (NHS ’08), one of the students promoting the Walkathon on campus. “We had a wonderful opportunity to learn about and support issues that exist right in our backyard.”

– Lin Chen