News in Brief

GUSA Candidates Kick Off Campaigns

Eight GUSA presidential candidates and their running mates kicked off the campaign season yesterday, two weeks before the election.

“This year, the campaign field is one of the most crowded ever,” Election Commission member Maura Cassidy (COL ’08) said.

This year’s tickets, listed with the presidential candidate first and vice presidential candidate second, include Timothy Brown (COL ’09) and Dale Sevin (SFS ’09), D.W. Cartier (COL ’09) and Andrew Rugg (COL ’09), David Dietz (COL ’10) and Tyler Stone (COL ’09), Patrick Dowd (SFS ’09) and James Kelly (COL ’09), Schuyler Hawkins (MSB ’10) and Anna Schubert (COL ’09), Sean Hayes (MSB ’10) and Andrew Madorsky (MSB’10), Tom Karwacki (MSB ’09) and William Farrar (COL ’09) and Kyle Williams (COL ’09) and Brian Kesten (COL ’10).

Over the next two weeks the candidates can spend up to $200 of their own money to campaign, with many going door to door, making videos, chalking Red Square and carrying out various other tactics to gain student attention.

Last year, the student association implemented instant-runoff voting, under which students ranked their choices of candidates. This process will be used again this year.

– Matthew Zuckerman

Georgetown Celebrates Super Tuesday in Style

Loud shouts of approval and dismay rang from Sellinger Lounge on Tuesday evening, as over 100 students watched Super Tuesday presidential primary returns in an event covered by C-SPAN.

Primary results were projected on the screen from seven p.m. to 11 p.m. when the winners of 24 states were announced. Student supporters of all the major candidates, including Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), were boisterously voicing their support and disapproval as the results were reported.

C-SPAN interviewed representatives from the Georgetown University College Republicans and College Democrats live every 45 minutes. The reporters had to struggle to be heard over the noise of screaming students supporting their candidate of choice.

Adam Feiler (SFS ’09), president of College Democrats, said that the heads of the two clubs had been planning the event for a long time but that C-SPAN’s coverage was a pleasant surprise.

“They contacted us,” Feiler said of C-SPAN’s coverage of the event.

“C-SPAN was calling universities in the area. They contacted College Republicans and College Democrats separately,” he added.

“We had agreed several weeks before to have a bi-partisan, joint event. They thought it was a good opportunity to get the young perspective from both sides on Super Tuesday so they decided to come here,” Feiler said.

-Emily McGinnis