News in Brief

Dean Resigns for Faculty-in-Residence Post Abroad

Elizabeth Andretta, associate dean and director of the School of Foreign Service undergraduate program, announced that she will be resigning as dean at the end of the summer to take a position as the faculty-in-residence in Georgetown’s overseas program in Fiesole, Italy.

In an e-mail to all SFS undergraduate students yesterday evening, Andretta said that a replacement search is currently underway, and she emphasized the role of student input in this process. The search committee will ask for student evaluations throughout the search process, she said, and a replacement is expected to be named by mid-summer.

“I am very surprised,” Andrew Gilligan (SFS ’11) said, “but I think that they will be able to find an adequate replacement.”

While at Georgetown, Andretta has taught a number of classes, including an introductory course this semester in Culture and Politics. According to the SFS’s Web site, she has worked in the field among the Amhara of Ethiopia and the Murle of Sudan as a cultural anthropologist.

In her letter to students, Andretta said the time she has spent with students has been most rewarding.

“I will certainly miss my association with the school, but what I will miss most will be my interactions with you. Many of you I know directly, others of you I know indirectly through your accomplishments both on and off campus and through conversations with your curricular deans,” she said. “I am, as always, in awe of your academic attainments, your energy and your engagement with the world.”

– Tomi Maxted

Laptop Stolen from Unlocked Apartment in Village A Early Saturday Morning

A student’s laptop was reportedly stolen from his Village A apartment when he left the apartment unlocked and unattended early Saturday morning.

Danny Meurer (SFS ’10) said he left his $2500 MacBook Pro by the door and left the apartment for less than two hours, from midnight to 1:45 a.m. He said that nothing else in his apartment, including an Xbox 360 in the living room, was missing.

eurer said he and his roommates usually leave their apartment unlocked.

“One of my roommates didn’t have a key, so it was just easier to leave it unlocked,” Meurer said.

“I think it was someone going around and opening doors,” Meurer said.

He said the Department of Public Safety told him that night of an unknown individual who opened another unlocked door in Village A but quickly left after realizing that there were people in the apartment.

eurer said there are no leads in the case and that he plans to lock his door from now on.

– Richie Frohlichstein and Matt Zuckerman