Night Highlights Violence Awareness

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Marchers gathered in Dupont Circle Saturday as part of Take Back the Night events designed to stop violence against women.

Hundreds gathered at Dupont Circle for the 22nd annual Take Back the Night Rally and March Saturday night in what organizers called an effort to raise awareness about violence against women. A contingent of Georgetown students was among the participants.

Sponsored by the D.C. Rape Crisis center, the event represents the finale in a series of activities planned in April for the National Sexual Assault Awareness Month, according to organizers.

The rally featured live music, speakers, poetry readings and a self-defense demonstration. The night culminated in a march through Dupont Circle and Adams Morgan.

Tania Abdulahad, counselor at the D.C. Rape Crisis Center, said Take Back the Night works to end violence against women by promoting public awareness.

“The rally is an attempt on the part of the Rape Crisis Centers around the world to bring awareness to the fact that 365 days a year, women do not feel safe on the streets,” Abdulahad said. “They should have the right one day a year to walk the streets and feel safe. We want the public to come out and support us because everyone is potentially a victim.”

Rachel Bouttenof (COL ’03), a speaker at Georgetown’s Take Back the Night in November 2000, said she agreed awareness and public support of victims is key in curbing sexual assault.

“Not only is it empowering to have people get together and speak out against violence against women, but it’s necessary to have an outward sign that the community stands up against it,” she said.

Ron Codario (COL ’03) agreed the rally is a powerful experience.

“I also went to Take Back the Night at Georgetown, and I thought it was really cool. I didn’t realize there was such a problem with violence against women,” Codfario said.

According to Abdulahad, women on college campuses are 3.2 times more likely to be victimized than the national average. In addition, nine out of 10 rape or attempted rape victims knew their attackers.

Take Back the Night also aims to give rape survivors the strength and support to face the emotional and physical stress they have gone through.

“It’s a really anonymous thing to be a survivor of violence, but when a group gets together and talks about it, it takes away some of the stigmas,” Bouttenof said.

Abdulahad said through support, openness and substantial gains in awareness, notable progress has been made.

“Previously, there was a lot of blame, shame and guilt associated with rape. Now we are helping people put sexual violence into the context of societal context, and realizing that we are all vulnerable.”

“They tried to kill my spirit,” proclaimed one person’s shirt at the rally, “but I am alive, healing and speaking their names.”

Pat McGann, director of Men Can Stop Rape, said men can be “visible allies” to women in this struggle.

“Rape is not only a women’s issue,” McGann said.

The group, which speaks regularly at universities nationwide, is currently running a “strength campaign” in D.C. high schools to provide awareness of and change attitudes towards violence against women.

The objective of the high school level “Strength is not for hurting” program is comparable to Take Back the Night.

“The goal is to reduce dating violence by challenging and changing attitudes that support sexual violence,” McGann said.

Men Can Stop Rape works as a partner to the Washington Rape Crisis Center.