No Coach Yet, But Players Stay

More than one month since the firing of Craig Esherick, the absence of a head coach for the Georgetown men’s basketball team is becoming increasingly conspicuous.

On Friday, the team had its annual banquet, where sophomore forward Brandon Bowman was named Most Outstanding Player. The assistant coaches, several players and University President John J. DeGioia all spoke, while the lack of a head coach was ostensibly the elephant in the room.

Over the weekend, McDonough Gymnasium played host to the Charlie Weber Invitational, a large AAU tournament. As the late signing period began last week, the Weber tournament drew many big-name college coaches – but a Georgetown head coach was nothing more than a subject for gossip.

Two rumored candidates for the Georgetown job were present in cDonough on Sunday morning: Princeton Head Coach John Thompson III and Penn Head Coach Fran Dunphy. Dunphy said he had not spoken to anyone from Georgetown about a coaching job, saying, “I’m just here with my son,” who was playing in the tournament. Asked if he had spoken with anyone from Georgetown about the position at any time, Dunphy said no.

Two recruits who have already committed to the program, Jeff Green and Roy Hibbert Jr., both played in the regional game at Saturday’s Jordan Capital Classic, a high school all-star event. Both players reaffirmed their commitment to the program but said they have no idea who the next coach will be, despite conversations with assistant coaches Chuck Driesell and Jaren Jackson since Esherick’s firing. Jackson has publicly spoken about wanting to take the position of head coach.

Green, who attends Northwestern High School and was a Washington Post All-Met selection, scored 19 points.

“I’m trying to keep cool about who the coach is going to be. I just can’t wait until they tell me,” Green said after the game. “I haven’t been hearing anything, but I heard rumors that it might be John Thompson III, so I’m just going one day at a time, and whenever I get that call about the coach, I’ll know then.”

On his preparation for Georgetown, Green said he’s been focusing on improving his SAT score, which he must do in order to qualify for competition. He said he will take the SATs May 1.

“It really doesn’t matter who the coach is going to be, I’m going to go out there and give my all for the coach and just hope that we win,” Green said.

Hibbert, a 7-foot-2 Georgetown Prep standout, said his commitment also stays strong although he is unsure who the next coach will be.

“Every time I call and I talk to [freshman guard] Matt Causey, he always asks me if I’m still coming, and I say I am,” Hibbert said. “I’m waiting to find out who the head coach is going to be. Your guess is as good as mine . [The assistant coaches] told me that a few names are being thrown out. Hopefully Jaren Jackson will get the job, but I don’t know if that’s going to happen or not.”

Hibbert also mentioned talking to Bowman and said he plans to attend upcoming workouts at Georgetown.